have you ever?

my oldest has a classmate that was bragging about how much he gets each week for allowance. he asked her how much she gets, she replies none. she don't get money she gets privileges. then she adds, thats much better than money. has this subject come up in your house?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i told him that he will get an allowance when he gets in middle school. by that time he will be big enough to do the chores properly. i already have the jobs picked out for them lol. trash/litter box. dishwasher duty. vaccume the carpets. they are all expected to keep their rooms clean though, and that is already started! and by highschool they should be able to mow the lawn (we have a reel mower). can't wait!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No, she gets a small allowance just because I want to teach her to save money. She gets like $5/week and she saves $3/week. I love that. But she knows better than bragging!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes and they want money just like so-and-so. I try to tell them we live here as a family and they are expected to help out with daily things. Now if they go above and beyond then we can talk about earing extra money---it rarely happens and when it does, it doesnt last for long. gl
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We don't do allowance in our home either.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 10:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• not yet but our oldest just turned 6 and will be going into first grade in 2 weeks so I am sure it will. at this point she doesnt havea an allowance but we are discussing it...
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Both of our girls get allowance (11 and 15) and hubby set up a plan for them - he will match them dollar for dollar all that they put into their savings accounts when they turn 18. It's really motivated our 15 year old, and I think once she gets a good lump sum, it will motivate our 11 year old.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010