How many of you Moms quit your job to stay at home with your babies & raise them?

Hi I quit my job of 15 yrs to stay at home. I went back after I had my daughter but when we decided to have a 2nd we decided it was best as we don't trust anyone! and don't have alot of help from family like most people do. Do you feel anxiety about what the future brings? I do. I had a good job but to me staying at home raising my 2 beautiful babies is worth it. The price of daycare & not being able to trust strangers is HUGE and I don't want strangers raising my kids. Just to be clear I am not insulting people who do not stay at home as it is not an option for everyone or what every Mother wants. I do worry about the future job issue but try not too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i did. i used to be a teacher. i prefer being a sahm.... i didn't get paid and worked my butt off lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We can't afford to. And for me I couldn't do it. I need to be busy and have contact with adults. Unfortunately right after I got off mat leave I was laid off and have been floating around at part time jobs. For us I want to get a good job soon and work my butt off so I can be there for my daughters when they are older. My parents did that and I was grateful that they were there for my school stuff and outside activites...but that's just me..
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My hubby and I choose this too. He is military, so that was a huge factor in me being a SAHM. He is gone a lot. The month of September we may see him 5 or 6 days, then he is gone for 3 to 6 months. So I don't feel anyone else should be raising my babies other than myself. Not fair to them. I enjoy it, as stressful and crazy as it is, especially when it's just me and them for weeks at a time. I have family, now that we moved to my home area. But it's still hard. My neighbors are great and encourage me a lot, telling me I'm an amazing mom....despite the days I am sure they hear me raising my voice or my very head strong loud 2 yr old throwing a tantrum. I do worry how I will be looked at when ready to return to work. But at the same time, I don't care. Anyone who is a mother should understand this choice.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was a medical technologist and made twice as much as my husband. I thought I would go back to work after my baby was born. I had no idea how much I would fall in love with him and how important I would be to him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When my older 2 children were little (2yrs and 6 mo) I quit my job to be a SAHM. Hubs was working overtime everyday, and on Saturdays and his overtime pay was more than my salary. So we discussed it and decided I would quit and be home with the kids. Unfortunately not long after I quit my hubs company stopped giving out overtime and then I had to look for a job. Thankfully I had put my name on a waiting list for a local company that employed moms to work from home doing data entry. I have been doing that for 10 yrs now and I love it-- I am home with the kids, but I still have money coming in.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I did. It wasn't really my choice, but like you we don't really trust anyone with our kids and daycares are WAY over priced... I hate being a SAHM, but it's what is best for my family, so that's what I'm doing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I did until our youngest went to kindergarten and then I started subbing. A few years ago I started teaching preschool, but both of my girls are older (11 and 15) and I teach 1/2 day (which works out to almost as long as regular full day teacher, but not quite as many hours per week).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I find everyone's reasons here interesting - I love my little boy but I'm the primary breadwinner and I have the better insurance so I'm back to work Monday for the 2nd year as a teacher, my little guy goes back to daycare where he gets to play with other kids all day - it's just different from what I can give him during my "summer off". It's good that some of you have had options, and I'm glad that you've used them. Some of us have had to use different options, and I love the cooperative nature I have with my daycare provider in her home for the raising of my child.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i stay home with first three then when other two came along i had to get a job i was field hand for 14 years and that they are adults they understand why i had to work
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I did. It actually wasn't reasonable for me to keep working, since I don't drive (it was complicated enough orchestrating both of us working before he was born, lol) and my husband would sometimes pull 70-80 hour weeks (although don't let that fool ya, neither of us were making that much to begin with, and he was on salary, so the extra hours didn't really benefit us in any way). That and in the long run its more cost efficient for me not to work, since it would raise our insurance if I were to even manage to pass the driver's test, the gas for me to get to work, the child care we'd have to pay (since DH works third shift now and sleeps during the day, doesn't get up until almost time to go to work at night), etc, etc. I plan on going back to work once our son (and any other children that may come along) is (are) in school, although I'd like to try to go back to school before then or once that happens...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010