Do you believe in spanking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes i spank my child
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, I do.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yes I spank my child usually I give them 1 warning to stop what ever it is they are doing if they don't then it is timeout and if they do it again I then spank unless it is really serious like my 2.5 year old likes to dart out in the road.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes I do. I have a 2 yr old who has met my hand....more of a scare tactic at this point. It doesn't ever hurt him. I use Time Out and he gets the point of that a lot better.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Never. I don't believe in violence against children. Spanking doesn't teach good behavior. Psychologists know spanking doesn't work.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, I believe in it, but the offense has to really warrant it. Like he does something that is potentially dangerous and needs a swat to let him know that I am very upset by what he's done. For just low level offenses, I think timeouts are enough.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 10:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Only in the privacy of my bedroom!

Oh, you were asking about with children. I would never want my child to think that hitting can solve problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yes i do spank my children,, i always give them a chance to stop what ever they are doing,, and i dont just spank them and tell them no,, i will spank them or smack their hands when they do something and i explain why they shouldnt have been doing what ever one of them did
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I believe in it and I have seen the difference with children who are and who aren`t. And IMHO, at times it is needed.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It depends on the situation and the child. In certain situations, where the child is putting himself and/or others in danger, I think a more extreme form of punishment than usual may be warranted (not beating, but if spankings are saved for occasions like that, then it could be more effective than a reprimand or a time out). There are also children who don't respond to any other form of discipline.

In general, though, no. It teaches the child to handle things the wrong way (i.e., by lashing out physically when upset/frustrated about something). It took my (3-yr-old) son raising his hand to me once to figure that out. (Yes, he was punished for even acting like he was going to hit me; and no, that punishment was not in the form of a spanking.)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010