What is the best chew toy for your dog?

My dogs just eat the rawhide bones!

I have found that an old pair of my daughter's basketball shoes are working the best for my newest puppy. He is an 11 month old yellow lab bull masta mix and has had the shoes for about 8 months now and still chews on them.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Our dogs have went through a LOT of toys but Kong is indestructable compared to our dogs' teeth,lol.
    Cloud_Dancer09

Answer by Cloud_Dancer09 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Kong may be the best. Rawhide and rope can be dangerous, vets recommend against them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Nilabone. They last forever! They don't make a mess and they don't give the dog bad breath!! =)
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Kongs, probably the extra strong one, it is black.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My dogs love thick ropes with knots tied in them. My oldest dog loves to pack her food bowl around and chew on it. It's made from recycled tires so she can spend an hour on it and not make a dent. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I give my two lab mixes the Nylabone super hard chews & sterilized beef bones. I get them a variety of shapes & sizes & rotate their toys to prevent boredom & the desire to find something new, and most likely inappropriate, to chew. I also replace their toys often, both for variety & to prevent injury from them chewing on toys that are too worn.

I do not give rawhide b/c undigested or imporoperly chewed rawhide can cause intestinal blockage & infection. I also would not give a dog shoes to chew b/c a dog is not capable of distinguishing b/t shoes he's allowed & not allowed to chew on, so be prepared for all of your shoes to become fair game. Punishing your dog for chewing on the wrong shoes will only serve to confuse him & he may become bad or destructive in other ways as a result. Another reason for not giving non-dog toys to chew is b/c they may ingest something toxic & could get very sick or die.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I went to southern states and got them bones. They love them. I wouldn't give my dog shoes because how are they to know the difference between the shoes you choose and the ones you don't?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i give her rope an kongs loves them an a rubber purple heart with rope on it
    Gracelynn2011

Answer by Gracelynn2011 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i went to the hardware store and bought a foot of rope and a replacement tirefor a lawn mower for our dogs chew toy. you just put a hole, or have your hubby puta hole in the tire, put the rope throw it and knot both ends. or you could just go with the rope. my lab/german shepards love it. good luck
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've got a retriever mastiff mix-- dumbest dog I've ever had. I love him.

We do natural cow bones. The femurs. They last a long time. No concern about the dog swallowing them since they are edible. $10 each. lasts a long while.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010