When your spouse doesnt like a friend of yours and wants you to end the friendship...how do you tell that friend?

kkleywegt41

Asked by kkleywegt41 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Not sure I would. Maybe I would ask him why- I might not invite her over when he was home, to respect him. Depends...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Why would you agree to ending a friendship just because your spouse wants you to. That doesn't sound fair. I wouldn't let my spouse have that much control over my life. Is your friend a criminal? A drug dealer? An abuser? Orwhat? See....I am being sarcastic because it just seems wrong to be told to end a friendship unless the person is horrible.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Depends on why he doesn't like her. If she is toxic to you, then I can understand his concern and the best thing to do is just try to stay away from her. If the reason is because he thinks she is annoying or something similar, then I would tell him that he doesn't get to make those kinds of decisions for you.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't... I would tell my DH to shove it in his ass... No one but me gets to pick my friends!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'd tell SO to fuck off and stop being controlling. If there is a valid reason to end the friendship, thats understandable. If he just plain old doesnt like the friend...oh well.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There is no easy way, esp. if you and she have been friends for a long time...etc. If your not that close, tell her your going to be very busy for a while, keep it social. When its a close friend; that's really something you have to think hard about and soul search on. Only you know why your husband doesn't like your friend, maybe tone the situation down. Let her know the truth... Unfortunately, my friend that I knew since we were 9 yr, ended our friendship cause of hubby; he didn't like that she stood her ground and he couldn't hit her when I was in her life...It still hurts everyday, there is no sugar coating. Weigh it out, see if there's a way to keep them apart...if she isn't trying to make moves on him, there's no real reason for hubby to tell you, you can't have so & so as your friend. He's your husband/lover not daddy. Its really your life, you know best what is going on...play sinarios in your head, may help.
    friendlyterri

Answer by friendlyterri at 11:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with txdaniella
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would question him why. Expect an honest answer. If you feel it is justified then I would mention it to your friend. But if it is just for a jealous reason then I would not give your friend up. Remember jealousy is about possession and control NOT love. Don't give up who you are. He loved you because of who you are.
    Nana131014

Answer by Nana131014 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010