I really want to try to breastfeed again...help me prepare!

I was a very young mum when I had my eldest daughters (now aged 5) ..I tried to breastfeed but I found it very painful and overall it was an awful experience...every professional who i encountered back then was rude to me because I was so young. My biggest regret is not being more assertive in ensuring i recieve the help i needed. I had another daughter in 2007, however I didn't breastfeed then either, I was anxious about the pain and still didn't feel comfortable enough to ask for help. Not something I'm very proud of...I feel i've let them down if im honest.

However we have a son due in February '11 and I really am determined this time. Im a more confident person and mother and I want to say i've given him the best start I can.

I feel completley new...so am wanting to listen to any tips, resources, links etc you can share with me to help me read and prepare as much as I can before his arrival.

Thanks ladies!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 10:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's going to hurt...at least mine did! lol they did for a good 3 weeks AT LEAST. They had sores and bled....they just had to get used to the constant breastfeeding that was happening.
    I would say more than anything....don't give up....because you can be sucessful. If you encounter the pain.....just keep telling yourself it's not going to hurt forever....and once you get over that hurdle...your unstoppable! xoxo Good luck mama! Congrats!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I breastfeed my son for 18 months with the help of WIC, the La Leche League and kellymom.com!! Definitely life savers, I recommend watching nursing videos and taking classes if you can. Also remember that breastfeeding shouldn't hurt, its painless. Try to take home as many pamphlets as you can. I'm hoping to nurse this baby due January 21st. Good Luck to you!!

Twisted_Halo

Answer by Twisted_Halo at 10:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Get a lactation consultant to come to your house when you bring the baby home, they will tell you everything. They will be better than the ones in the hospital, as they are rushed.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• you could take a breastfeeding class at the hospital, that's what i did. remember that there are consultants to work with you in the hospital (also remember that they're your employees. don't let them treat you like crap.... you're in charge of them, not vice versa). i don't agree with it hurting for 3 weeks at least lol. i had pain for the first week. if you can get through the first week, it's easy as pie after that in my experience. if you are having alot of pain and soreness after the first week, then probably you need to work on the latch. when you take the class they will tell you all about the different positions and how to look at the baby to ensure the latch is correct. if the latch is correct then you will not feel anything. gl, don't give up and congrats on your new baby to be!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm nursing my 2 year old still and I am a young mom... I got preg at 21. It is hard not being taken seriously! What worked for me was reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, being incredibly stubborn, confidence in myself and my body, working through the pain and trying to make sure the latch/positioning is correct, and support from other nursing moms.. even if just online. I think to some extent ignoring your doctor or finding a very pro-BFing pedi is important. My 1st doctor didn't know how to treat thrush while nursing, told me to wake him up every 2 hours and nurse on a schedule, told me I should pump to measure, etc. I left that practice to find one that understood and supported it. If you don't it will be a headache. Pedi's set people up for failure so often it's sad. Be careful at the hospital, they gave my son formula behind my back during his hearing test and he was allergic. I could of killed them.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• & about the pain, the first 2 weeks were VERY difficult for me. Then when things started to get better we got thrush and then the first 2 months were very difficult as well! We got thrush again at 8 months and it hurt like crazy again for a while until we beat it. The pain that nursing can bring is pretty uncomfortable. I have VERY sensitive skin. If my husband even runs his fingers lightly against my arm it hurts. I think the best thing you can do is just tell yourself it will get better after the letdown. I remember so many times latching knowing when he did it would rip open cracks that were scabbed. It was pretty bad... but in the long run I'm really happy I stuck with it. It's just about mind over matter. At times where pain was an issue I found warm baths and Lanolin worked best. Also, I ended up block-feeding from an oversupply (2 hours only on one boob then switch) and that gave the one side a break to heal.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There is a "breaking in period" but it's not bad. With the right support, you'll be comfy by week 3 at the latest. I mean latest! It doesn't have to hurt!

There is a BFing moms group here. Join it. Read the posts. Lots of good info.

I have a pediatrician who is also a lactation consultant. She is a rock star. If you can find a pro-BF pediatrician, you are in very good care.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• With my first child BFing was agony and I quite because it wasn't worth the stress I was putting on either of us. I found it was much easier to pump and then bottle feed. It took a lot more time beause of the extra steps, but at least she was getting some of my breast milk.

With my second child I was so much more relaxed and at ease. I had no troubles at all and found it to be very relaxing.

Preparing is great, but don't get yourself stressed before you even get a chance to try. You might find that time and your difference in age and maturity will have helped and that you won't have any difficulties.
    KiraSaucedo

Answer by KiraSaucedo at 12:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010