Would you have helped him?

I'm putting this in P&C because I'm not sure where else to put it.

I was at the mall recently, close to the front of the mall, strapping my son into his carseat when a guy walks up. I immediately faced him and held my hand out for him not to come any closer. (I have heard entirely too many stories of the things that happen in parking lots). He told me that his car wouldn't start and asked for a jump. I told him I didn't have cables (even though I did), and he said he had them. His hood was popped, and a girl was in the car.

I told him to go to his car and when I was ready, I'd drive over and he could jump his car. I did, his car started after a minute, but I didn't get out of the car. My friend said this was dangerous to help him, and that I should have driven off. Considering my doors were locked, do you think what I did was risky?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good for you---sometimes you just have to trust and be a help to people. I had a car emergency --the timing belt broke so my car was totally dead---and a really nice ,man drove me to a gas station so that they could tow my car. I just knew he could be trusted and he was glad to help. In some cases, it could have been a mistake.But if you have a gut feeling that the person is good, then you trust it. I bet you felt good about helping. I would.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• juliansmommy.... she meant he had the hood open up and ready to go. what do YOU mean? lol jumping to conclusions
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No, The first the safety class would be is to say no. Being nice is what women can get in trouble with, it's ok to say no and not put you or the baby in harms way, one never knows what someones intentions are, better be safe than sorry.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If I were HIM...I wouldn't have gone up to a woman with a baby to ask for help.....so that part sounds fishy....
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think any time we step foot out of our homes (or into our bathrooms) we have elevated our risk of something happening. Should you have helped him? Sure... you were cautious, you appeared (from your description) confident, and you secured your well being. If this was 9pm at night, in a lone parking lot, and so forth I would not have helped him. You helped someone and yeah it could have gone wrong but you can also try to take a pee and die. So I personally don't see anything wrong with how you handled the situation and now many some good "karma" will come your way.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• gertie really... i own a very very nice car actually :) but i dont do car stuff.. thats tripple A's job :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• haha, yea when i hear 'hood popped' i think hoodie over head or something.. never mind its august... and I AM sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.. wasn't trying to be rude or anything im just flipping back and forth between stuff, crashed out from the day..didn't read it properly..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• yes this was very very risky most of the time now days they use women to make other women feel safe in the situation thinking that women are not as mean as some men but they are..i would of told him to call mall security..they would of helped him
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i would just follow my instincts..when someone usually approaches me an somethng isnt rite..my instincts usually kick in...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:30 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No, I would not because I'm an old lady.

Also for you that say she was safe in her car, what would you do if the guy did not close the hood after you started his car? You would still have to get out of your car to close it.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2010