How to stop my 15 yr old son from dating his girlfriend.

How do I stop my 15yr old son from dating his girlfriend that will turn 18 yrs old on July 10th? I know the law in our state says it is illegal to date anyone under 16yrs old, but I want them to break it off completely. No sneaking around, no lying to me. I want it over. I've talk to her parents, but they like my son. Probably because he isn't 18yrs old.

littleindiana

Asked by littleindiana at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow. I think if you make him break up with her, he will rebel like crazy. Same thing if you try to go a legal route. I would just say talk to him. Or if you have any friends, or colleagues that have same aged girls, maybe try casually introducing them. THis is a really tough situation. Is it just the girls age you don't like, or is it something else?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• You don't say why you want him to stop dating her? Personally, I don't think kids should "date" that young, but of course that has already started so the cow is already out of the barn, so to speak. Are you concerned that they are having sex? I would talk to him seriously about this issue, and how it can really negatively affect his life should she become pregnant. I am dumbfounded as to what a 18 year old girl sees in a 15 year old boy? Be straight up with him, and talk to him about your concerns. Encourage activity with people his own age. At this point, I don't think there is much you can do but stay involved. Hopefully , he will come to his senses!
    April1961

Answer by April1961 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i really dont think there is anything. he will see her neway.... just make it clear that you dont approve of it but dont forbid it but i think that will make it worse
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 4:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Trust him a little. Provide education. It will work out. Boys around younger girls seems to concern me more.
    nineteen

Answer by nineteen at 4:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Hello
    I have been through the teen years 3 times. Honestly,I have learned that the more you push especially when it comes to the opposite sex the more they rebel. I spoke to my boys honestly about the risk of pregnancy and even went as far as showing them the expense of having a baby. Formula,diapers,doctor,meds. etc. Then also let them know I could not prevent them from making the mistake. Where there is a will they find a way.But that I would not help them if they made a poor choice. You can't always control them but you can be clear on what you are willing to accept. It's a shame that she is putting him in this position and he is probably thrilled to be going out with a girl her age. Hang in there. Hopefully it will wear itself out.

rosej2000
    rosej2000

Answer by rosej2000 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I hate to say it but the more you push your son to stop seeing her the more he is just going to sneak around and lie about it. This is just something you may have to sit back on and deal with for the time being. Chances are with him being 15 they won't last too long maybe a couple months at most!
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• wow, this one hits a nerve. I was 18 and my husband was 15 (he lied to me about his age)when we met and began dating. Of course he wasn't 15 when I married him! Funny thing is that our son was 15 and dated an 18 yr old girl as well. If you have a valid reason for not wanting them to date then tell her you will call the police if she doesn't stop when she becomes an adult. If it is against the law then we must obey the law. I'm sure he will pitch a fit but tell him to learn to lobby for a new law, get it changed then he can date her.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• tell him how much you like her and be her freind.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• im almost 17. when i was 14 i meet a boy that was 17. my parents hated it. i fell in love with him and then they told me i wasnt allowed to see him ever again. it was the end of the world to me. i got very depressed.it got very bad, because i was in love with him madly! about a year went by and every chance i got i would sneak and see him.and most of the time i got away with it. eventually my parents gave up. and to this day we are still together and have a beautiful baby.i just wanna say that you really cant make him not see her. you can try but if he loves or likes her enough he will sneak behind your back to see her.so wouldnt you rather it all be out in the open? and if you think they are having sex,its not going to matter the age of the girl. if he wants to have sex he will. just make sure you help him with protection. but im sure you already know that.i wouldnt force him to end the relationship.especially if it is serious. cause he will prob hate you for it.good luck
    kflynn1022

Answer by kflynn1022 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i wouldn't say tell him he couldn't see her but I would make the rule they must see each other at your house. pretend to like her. but at least you will know what is going on in your house. tell them it is for her protection because you do not want anyone to be able to accuse her of anything.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2008