Skipping the Stroller

We're considering not buying a stroller. Did anyone not buy one and how did it work out for you? We plan on buying slings/carriers to carry the baby instead. Good idea? Bad idea?

kltinsley

Asked by kltinsley at 11:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol my back was hurting with the carrier once the baby was past the newborn stage lol. i would definately suggest getting an umbrella stroller. you don't have to get a huge expensive stroller. i prefer the umbrella strollers because they are cheap, lightweight and small. can't imagine life without a stroller!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I couldn't live without our stroller.. even with a sling/carrier, they get heavy, too old, fall asleep, you need a break to look at something or try something on or say you are in the mall, there is far more for your baby to see and look at that stimulates them and helps them focus and learn also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do have a stroller, but my almost 6 month old I've only ever carried in the wrap, and since getting our Ergo my 1 year old gets worn in that.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have back problems and so there's no way I could have done it without a stroller - I walk daily and it is easier to walk with leaning on the stroller.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I bought a new stroller when I was preggers with number 2 to use for number 1 (then 2, almost 3). I ONLY use it for long trips and more to carry all the bags that are needed for such trips. Really, we could make do without. It's convenient on occasion... but I would buy a really nice soft structured carrier before a stroller... then maybe get a $15 umbrella stroller if you decide you need one. You definitely won't need one for the first 6 months, at least. Strollers are often more trouble than they are worth!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Crotch dangler carriers are horrible. traditinal styles like wraps, slings, mei tais, kangas, selendangs, podaegis etc are excellent. I have a jogging stroller ut it is used for jogging and extended treks. I've no use for a stroller otherwise. I like having 2 hands. Back carries are my favorite after the newborn stage.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• A stroller is something you'll be glad to have. When you go for walks with the baby and when you shop, you can also store diaper bag and purchases in it. Carrying the baby and your purse and diaper bag and purchases would be overwhelming. And trying on clothes- where are you going to set the baby- with the stroller you just leave the child in it. You aren't going to want to carry around a three year old for very long,and even at three they get tired of walking and want to be carried.

Answer by Bmat at 11:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think that's a good idea. You could invest in a good carrier like an ergo. If you want a stroller later you could get an umbrella stroller. They don't cost much and they don't take up much room in the car.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm a baby wearer as well but now that my kids are 2 &3 they won't like me carry them. We have a double stroller. I'm due in Jan and s/he'll be worn until s/he's older. You may not want a huge one now but when Baby is older you could get an umbrella stroller.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well... my DS was over 30 pounds by 1 year of age, and my DD is over 25 pounds at 14 months. I am petite, 5'4" and on the skinny/wimpy side. So yeah, we have a stroller... no way I am lugging those chubs around!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010