Paci!!!

My ddjust turned 3 (yes I know way too old to have one) I cannot get her to give up her paci at bed time thats the only time she asks for it! We had her doing the whole cutting it thing she stole her baby brother and baby sister. so my question is how do i do that with a newborn and a 1 yr old how can i get her off of hers??? I tried the letting her cry that she would fall asleep yea no such luck sje is a strong willed lil girl screamed and I mean SCREAMED for god only knows how long till I could not take it anymore and gave her one the other kids had to get to sleep

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 11:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe have a bye-bye paci ceremony for her? Then she gets a special toy or something she can replace it with-- something only big girls get, since pacis are for babies.

Does co-sleeping help her at night? You can move her to her bed later in the night.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Our dentist and ped said not to traumatize them by stripping them of it completely, just don't buy any new ones. I told Max (about 3.5 at the time when he was ready, we would find a toy he really liked, email the paci fairy, and tell her he was ready to trade his paci for the toy. I found him hiding in his closet during the night because he was afraid the paci fairy would come steal his paci. I told him no, it didn't work that way, he would have to to want her to come. But then I kept pulling up the toysrus website over the next few days when he was around the computer desk and browsed thru the truck section. About a week later he pointed at a truck and said, "Could I have that truck if I let the paci fairy take my paci?" I said yes, but the paci fairy would need a week or so to get it since she was very busy. The night she was coming he was soo excited. He was thrilled with his truck and is not taking baby's paci.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My oldest son was about 2.5 at the time we broke him. I cut the tips off and he hated them! I gave him one and he took it out, looked at it and said "broken! Nother one!" lol You could try cutting the tip off just one and see how it goes.

My sister used another version of the paci fairy. She bought a special present and then told her son he had to put his paci's in an envelope and leave it outside for the paci fairy because there are new little babies being born (like you have) who need new pacis and he needed to share his with them. If he put them outside for her, she would leave him a special present. Sure enough, he got his special gift the next day (can't remember what it was....he's 14 now! lol).

I gotta add - if she only has it at night it isn't all THAT bad. If it is just way too much stress maybe hold off a few weeks or months. whatever you decide good luck!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Thank you all! I tried cutting the tips I even let her help cut them! I had her hold the binki and she said ok cut it!!!! My daughter liked it LOL strange huh she did not care that it was ruined lol... But yes it is ONLY at night
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You just have to do it cold turkey. Let her scream, she'll forget all about it sooner than you think. My DD LOVED her paci. Cold Turkey worked though. She forgot about it in 2 days.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2010