Am I reading too much into it?

I have 5 boys, but for the last 3 of them we were planning on naming them Kaitlynn if he had been a she...my SIL just had a baby girl (the first one in the family in 26 years) and they wanted to name her Caitlin. KNOWING that I desperately wanted a girl & wanted to name her that. After about 6 months of saying they were going to name her that, they finally decided to name her Ciara. All I could think of was HOW RUDE!!!! I CRIED. Am I reading too much into it?? They KNEW that we were planning on naming ours Kaitlynn - but they were going to spell it Caitlin (because they already have a Conner - gotta keep with the C I guess). I told her that if we ever had another baby & it was a girl, I didn't care that she had a caitlin, i was still going to name our daughter that. (not that we're ever going to have a girl...but hey, I can dream, can't I?!!) Was I wrong to think she was being rude??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No not wrong, she was being rude! And why lead u to believe that she is going to use ur name, if they weren't even sure and ended up using a diff one anyway? I'm glad u told her that if u had a girl u would name her that anyway - that may have been what changed her mind. What about ur brother, didn't he feel for you? Oh BTW - mommy of five boys here too - well 4 boys and one due in a month. I feel ur pain over a little girl .Don't get me wrong. I love my boys!!!! But just to me able to mommy a litle girl would be nice. Ya know - some twirling and dancing and dress-up, insteadof always wrestling, and football and horseplay. And all my boys are 6 and under - i know it will only get worse!!...lol
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I totally understand... I myself have 3 boys and then had my tubes tied thinking I may want to try again in a few years and I know that we do not need nor can we afford anymore! But as for the name thing... Maybe they were just trying to be considerate of your feelings that when or if you have a girl you would still want that name and didn't want to take it from u? My mom's sister did that to her, she had a girl many years before my mom and took the name and it really made my mom mad.. Just a guess
    shopaholickerri

Answer by shopaholickerri at 10:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yeah, that's kind of crappy that she did that, but it sounds to me like she understands how strongly you feel about that name considering that she has chosen a different one. It's over now, so you can let it go and be happy now =)
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• well i don' t know how well you get along with you sil but it sounds to me that if she kept telling you she was going to name her daughter caitlin and new that was your plan and then ended up using another name she was just trying to hit a nerve with you. by the way i like your spelling of the name better and good luck on that girl
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My name is Caitlin =3

And I think it is kinda rude. I agree with the previous poster, it seems like she was trying to hit a nerve with you by wanting to call her by that name and then randomly changing it at the last minute.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• no, you cant CLAIM names... whos to say if you were going to have another girl anyway? what if you never did??? you even said SHE turned out to be a HE so calm down thats really bitchy.
    Anonymous

• Did the OP say she could claim a name?? All she said was that it was kind of rude that her SIL said she was going to use the name the OP wanted for her daughter if she ever had one....is it claiming a name if you really desperately want a girl, but have only boys!? Is it awful to want a daughter, have a name picked out for her, have a boy, and then all the sudden the OP has no option of using the name again later on IF she does by chance ever have a girl?! So is it supposed to be a first come first serve basis in your book?! Give me a break!!
    Anonymous