Is it wrong of me if I buy my kids clothes at Goodwill?

They only wear them for couple of months and they are outgrown. I only buy the ones in good condition. I know many moms do, but the problem with me is that I am addicted to expensive shoes and purses. But I have them for a lifetime, not just a season. So my family thinks that I am a bitch for dressing my kids from Goodwill so that I can save for my expensive taste.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I shop at the GW and thrift stores all the time, but I do not spend money on myself like that.
    Honestly, I think that you are being selfish. You can buy those things when your Children are grown.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Will, I buy from thrift stores for my kids, but I also shop for myself there. I guess I would have a problem if I was buying expensive stuff for myself and my kids were getting all hand-me-downs. I don't think an occasional splurge on my part is bad, but I wouldn't do it all the time.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well, I think you should take care of you and your babies equally.

Handle your business and take care of those kids! I buy my daughter some things occasionally from Goodwill. We only go there a few times a year, but if they have cute stuff we get it! However, she is often dressed in things from Childrens Place, Gymboree, or Gap as well.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• hell no...i love the salvation army store. the last time i was there i found a hot mini skirt for 99 cents!! who cares if the cloths belonged to other people. they're affordable and you can find some great outfits there
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I buy a lot of my children's clothing from consignment stores and the like. The good ones, especially for my daughter because she is a toddler and is really rough on her clothes, even if she doesn't grow out of them so quickly. However, I also buy my own clothes there as well. Or I will shop the clearance sales at department stores when you can get things for $1-$5. I can't really justify spending more on my own clothing than I can my children's. And I would never spend more on a purse than I did my kids clothes. However, if you can justify it, the only person you have to answer to is yourself. If you feel right with it, then don't worry about what everyone else says.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sometimes it is good to spend more money on a quality item. Maybe your shoes and purses are those quality items.
    I buy a lot of my kids clothes at goodwill too. I buy some of my own clothes at goodwill. I buy stuff for my husband at goodwill.
    I also know when I need to buy the $$ stuff because I need it to last a long time.

I guess it really depends on if you are in fact buying the thrift store stuff to finance your expensive accessory habit or not.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i think that you're being selfish too. you don't need to spend 1,000 bucks on a purse or pair of shoes. seriously, if they're that great, then why would you need more than one pair of shoes and more than one purse? besides, you could probably find some designer shoes and purses from goodwill from someone who died
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well I DO get tired of buying garabe items that I will need for a long time and them being broken or ripped or in throw away condition in a year but I can't seem to bring myself to buying expensive items for myself.. I shop for us all at GW or other thrift stores.. I guess though I also don't care much or enough about my apperance to justify buying an expensive anything for me.. or the money for that matter..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I sometimes buystuff from Goodwill to resell on e-bay. I bought 8 brand new MLB hats with the tags once for a dollar each and sold them for around 20-30 dollars each on e-bay. There are definitely some deals there! I don't usually buy stuff for my family to wear there, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I've bought my son things a few times. I love Ralph Lauren baby clothes, and I often pay $30 for an outfit, so why the heck wouldn't I buy one that looks new for a few dollars at Goodwill, lol?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Goodwill is my new Macy's... LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010