changing from crib to toddler bed

please help! my son has figured out how to climb out of his crib. how do i start and work the whole process of change? he is 19 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I switched my son over at 18 months. I had him "help" me put together his big boy bed. I got the Thomas the Train one and he was SUPER excited about it. He wouldn't even allow me to bring him into my bed anymore, haha. I'm not exactly sure why, but my son has never tried to get out of his bed when he wasn't supposed to... and he's 2 now. I think just bringing home a bed he will like (I got my Thomas one off craigslist and it looks new, just half the price.. there are lots of good race car and train, etc beds) getting him excited for it and feeling involved will help him to transition.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• All I really did when I switched mine was maintained the same bedtime routine and put up a baby gate in his doorway. The first time he gets up I say all my goodnights again... anytime after that I don't speak. Once he's asleep for the night I remove the baby gate and we are usually good til morning. He's 19 months and switched to a toddler bed at 16 months, then to a twin bed a couple of weeks ago because he just didn't sleep well in the toddler bed (not enough room for his nighttime movement to be comfortable) The light in his room doesn't work so he has a lamp which he can't turn on so that's not an issue for us. My oldest could turn on his light though and honestly I got to the point that I had to unscrew his light bulb until he went to sleep, then I would fix it so he could use his light when he woke up.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2010