Do you use a cart cover when shopping? How about a highchair cover when eating out?

I have one that fits both, but as he gets older I use it less. Sometimes I feel bad for forgetting it at home, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• In the winter... I am INSANE about my cart cover. When my oldest kiddo was an infant, we had really bad winter. We had not left the house in like 10 days. We went to walmart that day and he kept leaning over and putting his mouth on the cart, and I kept removing his mouth from it, but then he was right back at it. 72 hours later he came down with Rotavirus. OMG. If you have not experienced Rota, you have no ideas the horrors of it. He had been partially vax'd for it so it wasn't as bad as it could have been (was able to get away with a home health care nurse for IV fluids, which is super cool our ped offers that) but my husband and i were laid out 72 hours later for days - one of us in one bathroom the other in the other bathroom. We had to have my parents come get Max because we physically could not care for him for a couple of days. Ever since then I am OCD when it comes to shopping carts and covers.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I use a cart cover.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 11:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I actually didn't know there was such a thing as a cart cover until my son was 1 and I thought MAN that would have been a great idea.. but once he could walk he has refused ever since to even sit in a cart so I figured why bother = I will admit to making sure to wash his hands a ton, especially after leaving a restaurant or toy store/target..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We have both and we use both for both children :o)
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I hadn't seen them when my kids were little. I would have used them though, I think they are great!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't use a highchair cover when eating out, cause the good part about eating out is that the mess is not your problem, lol. I just bring an anti-bacterial wipe (or use the ones they have) and wipe it down. My son never sat still in carts when he was younger or else I would have gotten a cover cause I think they making shopping much more comfy.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i use neither lol. just wipe the stuff down with a lysol wipe and you're good to go.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• cart cover yes - it's the boppy brand - high chair cover no
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yeah... it was bad. WAAAY worse the salmonella (which I have had). I WANTED to die with salmonella, I actually thought I MIGHT die from Rota. You sit on the toilet and clear water just pours out of you... from your bum... for days. No wonder so many children are hospitalized with it. We as adults probably should have been hosptialized but we were too sick to take ourselves. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have 5 kids and have never used either. Never used antibacterial anything either. My kids are never sick (maybe a cold once a year at the most). Exposure to germs is how kids build healthy immune systems. We also pick pacifiers up off the ground and pop them back in their mouth, let them get dirty, put junk in their mouths (my 4yo used to lick the bottom of shoes), take them out as soon as they leave the hospital, etc. Out of 5 kids (the oldest is 10) we've had 1 ear infection (the oldest when she was 9) and 1 case of the flu (oldest son when he was 8), a couple bouts of pink-eye and a few cases of a 24 hour stomach bug (that happens once every 3 years or so).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2010