UPDATE: grocery money needs to go a mile......

my boyfriend does work, but i dont get food stamps for him, he doesnt want me to put him on my foodstamp case. why i have no idea. He makes enough to pay rent,electric, buy diapers and stuff for our child. he also has to put gas in his car, which is about $80 a week. i still wanna make sure that i get the most for my money wen i go shopping. Yeah i dont think i should have to feed him either, but i do. But at the same time sometimes he says he shouldnt have to pay for extra food. its dumb but thats life. I see your point Miss Anonymous.

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 10:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Food & Drink

• What's the actual question? Are you trying to figure out how to make what you've got go the longest it can? If so, start getting and cutting coupons. SHop somewhere that will double manufactures coupons. Scour the Sunday inserts for the weeks sales. We'll sometimes do our shopping at 3 or 4 diferent stores in a day depending on where the sales are. Buy any buy one get one meats you can and stick em in the freezer. Avoid "easy make" meals like the plauge. If you're looking for a quick fix make several meals on a day off and pop in an oven or microwave safe container and into the freezer.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If what you're looking for is ideas to stretch your grocery money, I have a few. I won't get into who should buy what groceries :)
    Ok, all the usual stuff will apply, meaning coupons, store sales, double coupons, etc. Costco can be a great asset too if you have one near you. But what I want to tell you isn't so much about coupons as saving in the long run.My favorite money-stretching trick is using a single purchase for 2 or more meals. For example: Buy a large chuck roast (beef-at least 4 lbs). When you get home, cut off a 1 lb piece. Wrap and save for later. Prepare the remaining roast by browning with onions, add water or beef broth, and braise until fall apart tender. Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie. You will have leftovers and from those you can make enchiladas, tacos, hot beef sandwiches, etc. With the piece you cut off and saved, you can saute it and simmer in tomato sauce to make a hearty pasta dish.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• cont..
    Same idea with a turkey. Buy a whole turkey (and they are about to get cheap, so if you have a large enough freezer, buy more than one). When you get it home, cut off the wings, and the legs, and put them with the neck. The rest of the turkey (breast & thighs), can be roasted in the traditional way. Dressing is cheap to make since you don't need expensive bread, and it is filling. Carve what you'll eat for that meal, and after remove the remaining meat from the bones. Combine the bones with the wings & legs & neck, along with celery and onion left from making dressing, to make soup. Add a package of egg noodles, sliced carrot, whatever you like. With the leftover meat you can make enchiladas, turkey salad, turkey sandwiches, or combine with leftover soup broth or gravy and make a pot pie.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008