What kind of dogs do you think are best for children?

Kisses4Henry

Asked by Kisses4Henry at 11:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Whatever dog that fits best with your whole family.
    Malamutes are wonderful dogs, for the people who are experienced enough to cope and physical enough to exercise them.
    Great with kids, lots of fun, great companions.

They fit in well with our house. If you've never had a dog before, they'd be a nightmare for yours. Best thing, is to write a list of what you can offer. How often can you realistically walk the dog? Not many families can do 1.5hrs every single day, plus playtime.
    Be very realistic about what you can and cannot do. Do you have a secure yard? Are there lots of dogs / cats around your area?

Generally, larger, gentler dogs are the best. Smaller dogs are more likely to bite, and more likely to be injured by a child who sin't used to dogs.

Best thing is to go to a shelter, tell them what you want, and see what sort of dogs they can show you, and se which ones you like :)
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Lab mixes, boarder collie mixes, corgis, and beagles.

These are the dogs that have the lowest incidence of health issues (generally well bred, few genetic defects) and lowest bite risk.

Toy breeds have the highest bite risk with children.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Larger dogs IMO. We have 2 German Shepherds (100lbs each), and a Husky, (she's only 53 lbs) Two are rescue dogs, and they are great with our boys. Small dogs tend to be a little more fiesty and are better with one person. Look into rescue, they can match you to the type of dog that will be best with your family...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Poodles, Labs, Boxers
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• a lab
    Kaizensmommy

Answer by Kaizensmommy at 12:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have 2 Australian shepards and a lab/collie mix. All are great with my grandchildren but because they are so big sometimes they knock them over. I think the best family dog w/ children are beagles.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i have a hound mix she is great with kids she isent a jumper or a bighter just a licker an kids love to play with her
    Gracelynn2011

Answer by Gracelynn2011 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not sure overall but my Yorkie is good with little kids.
    dyldylsmom

Answer by dyldylsmom at 1:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i have a phobia about them so for me no dog is good for children - i was jumped on by a dog when I was 2 years old and have never gotten that experience out of my mind. but i know that others do very well with dogs - just not me, and so I would not be comfortable having one around my child.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010