Maternity leave?? how early in advance should i put my request in?? has anyone had it before??

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would put my request in now so that your Boss is prepared. I would also make sure they know that the time frame could change depending on delivery day.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• In my job we have to put in for short term disability first - then that will kick in after we use 20 of our sick days. Fortunately for me, the baby didn't come on his due date, he came later so I didn't have to even use 20 sick days and then the disability didn't kick in. Every office policy is different though, so I would check with your HR department as to what the policy is for your workplace.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I had gesteational diabetes so I had an induction date but I worked until the day before...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• well on the application it says from date and to date. im due December 26th so ..........
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Have a very frank discussion with both your direct supervisors as well as your HR dept. Most companies, especially larger ones (as I am assuming you are in a larger corporation as there is an application process here) have a plan in place to accomodate your needs as well as the company's. If you are in a position that will need to be filled while you are out, make sure there is enough time to train a temp.

You will also need to know what the policies are for post-delivery. How soon do you want to return? How will your child's needs be met while you are at the office? Can you return for partial days and ramp up to full status?

For me, I had different situations with each of my 4. Once I was allowed to keep my baby under my desk and breastfeed in the bathroom until he got old enough to stay awake. When I was in college, I had to redo a semester because the dates kept me out too long for credit.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 12:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Oh, I did not see how far along you are now. If you are in the first trimester, keep your company in the loop about when you are due, but you should not need to formally request until the beginning of your third trimester. Probably not less than 6 weeks. That would make life difficult for your company to cover your duties.

Are you planning on 6 weeks, or 12? Less?
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 12:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• im 21 weeks im due in December. and i wana be out a while to spend time with my babies but within my jobs guidelines :)
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2010