How do you teach a dog to bark or speak?

10 month old yellow lab bull masta won't bark when I ask him to speak or even to go outside to potty. He doesn't have any accidents in the house and when left outside long enough he will bark to come in. He also barks once in while when he thinks someone is here or at our other dog. I'm just wondering if there are any tricks out there that I haven't tried?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Find something that makes your dog bark... for us it was a squeeky toy. Every time you get your dog to bark, say "speak" and give a treat. But ONLY when the dog barks. not if he whines. Pretty soon you won't need the accessories to help your dog bark.. he should do it when you just say "speak"
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't know if you have tried this. Everytime he barks, praise him for speaking. He needs to start associating the word w/ the action. Even though he isn't barking for any reason you want, still praise him for speaking so he starts to understand what you want when you tell him to speak.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, it helps to have a mouthy dog to begin with. My dog barks at you when you blow in his face so we started telling him WOOF! making an effort to blow air in his face while saying it. He would bark and we would praise him. Now you just have to say woof and he will. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:11 AM on Aug. 28, 2010