Love the name, not the meaning... your thoughts? adult content

I love the name Lilith. I think it's sweet and Lilith or the nickname Lily go REALLY well with our last name. The problem is that there happens to be a stigma around the name (kind of like Lucifer I guess) when it comes to Jewish folklore and general historical references. The wiki has a graphic (shows boobs so I flagged the post) painting, so don't open it with kids around... but here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

I'm thinking I'll skip it even though I think it's perfect. I'm really bummed cause it's the first female name I felt enthusiastic about. My father is a minister and I'm sure knows the reference so he would probably not let me live it down... would you let a meaning or stigma change your idea about using a name?

Kisses4Henry

Asked by Kisses4Henry at 12:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Baby Names

• No, my husbands grandparents (on his fathers side) are really religious, and tried to talk us out of the name was chose for our son, which we both loved.. (Mason) She said Masons are people who stomp on crosses or something to that affect.. We just had to re-assure them that just because he is named Mason, it doesnt mean he is going to be evil, or whatever.. If you love Lilith and thats what you truly want to name your child, I wouldnt change it. I love the name personally :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• no if you like that name use it...i had a boy named picked out its is halian an indian name but my dh says ppl will call him (hell-yon) when it should be Hay-lian
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Dude.....Id name my child that. The meaning makes it even more bad ass. JMO but Id want a strong name for my girl too. And thats a strong name. Anyway....I already have this babes girl/boy name picked out...but you better believe Ill keep that in mind!
    But to answer your question...no i wouldnt let a meaning cahnge my mind about using the name...hell the name Im using is bailey which is the occupation name for bailiff.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No. I dont give a rats ass what a name means! To me, it just matters how it sounds and whether I like it or not! Its your daughter, not your fathers.... He had his chance to name his children, now its yours.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Meaning had a lot to do with naming for us. I too like the name Lilith but DH and I decided against it. We have a names list for our future children. Everyone has a name of religious significance and a family name. The religious significance of Lilith is too difficult for us.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:11 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We named our son Haden... it's a popular name... but apparently it means heathen! My DH was joking if we have another child we would name him Christian LOL
    If you like the name, go with it! Most people won't know what it could mean, anyway.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i would probably not use that name if it's a negative in your culture/religion. there are alot ofnames i like but won't use bc of the negative things they bring to my mind (like if i knew a jerk with that name lol). silly i know, but you don't want to have any negative feelings when you think about your baby
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I wanted to name my second son Lucipher, but my husband wouldn't let me. We are both atheist, so I saw no problem with it, but he felt it would cause too many problems for our son, so I let him talk me out of it. We ended up going with Lucas.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• WOW according to legend she was created before eve and because she refused to obey him was turned into a demon and then eve was created...wow...im totally digging this thanks for giving me something to look up
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My sons name is Max.. you know, the name that has been a DOGS name like forever.. so no.. I think once people meet your angel the meaning will change...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2010