If your sixteen y/0 daughter asked if she could get on the pill would you give her consent?

Your sixteen y/o daughter comes to you and tells you she is sexually active with her boyfriend. They have been using condoms, but she's afraid if one breaks she'll become pregnant. Would you encourage her to get on the pill and help her get it? Or would you refuse and tell her you would prefer her be abstinant?

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 12:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• it is better then "mom I need a pregnancy test"...my daughters have been on the pill and I'm ok with it and ok that I'm not watching their babies while they go to school or to a party
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would hope that I'd had plenty of discussions with her prior to this point regarding sex...but I would put her on the pill. Teens are teens and just because you don't want them to have sex, doesn't mean they won't. I would again reiterate to her that the pill only protects from pregnancy...NOT STDs.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't believe abstinance works.. so yes,if we had a good enough relationship for her to come to me and ask me that ( like I did with my mother ) I would take her to the clinic in a heartbeat.. no second thoughts.. of course I would give her a mother speech but I would still rather her be honest with me
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would refuse and teach her to be abstinence! It is possible. I saw someone said it's just not realistic..untrue!
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 12:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• ...or broken hearts.
    MamaJen74

• Yes - if she's already sexually active. I was, at that age, and my mom was in denial. I wish, back then, that I could have talked to her about it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Absolutely. I wouldn't question it if she was telling me she was going to have sex, I certainly wouldn't question it if she were already having sex.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i would put her on birth control. my daughter is only a baby but when she starts her period i'm going to take her to the gyno to get her BC. i don't believe it's an invitation to have sex. i trust my daughter to have sex when she's ready and if she chooses to make that decision i won't end up a young grandma.....everyone knows teaching abstinence doesn't work...look at how many teens get pregnant every year
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think abstinence at this point is just not realistic. Of course Ill be teaching that from the get go but if she comes to me like that saying she is having sex Ill consent to give her the pill because id rather her be safe. Id still tell her to use condoms too. I think she was brave for coming to me and being open and honest. now if she comes to me and says she thinks she wants to be sexualy active but hasnt been yet....another heartfelt talk about waiting is in order. but once its happened theres really a small chance of going back ya know.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• yes b/c she will have sex if and when she wants to regardless of my wishes and I dont want her to be pregnant at 16 like I was with her...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2010