Counseling in Kindergarten pt 2

My son came home from school today talking about Ms. Boone.... happens to be the name of the school counseler.... I will be writing his teacher a letter monday to ask what's going on. My husband, my mom and I talked about the possible reasons why that's there, and we decided it's more targeted towards the whole "no child left behind" bullshit. It aims towards families that don't speak english proficiantly, kids on medicaid, (which we are currently due to significant loss of income) kids of other ethnic backgrounds etc. So yeah- not only that but if there are kids that have abusive parents, or they want to talk about emotions concerning divorced parents, deceased parents or siblings, etc- I am absolutely not comfortable with my son hearing about all that kind of stuff if it doesn't apply... Thanks for all your advice on the previous posting.. :)

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• are you sure that she doesn't meet with all of the kids at some point so that they will be comfortable talking to her if they need help? i wouldn't go and think it's a conspiracy against you. he would not be hearing other kids' problems. that is confidential
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Obviously if you're uncomfortable with this I would check with the school, find out what has been going on and why he was called to speak to the school counsellor. It could turn out that she just talks to all students at least once and it's nothing serious. If you're unhappy with the reasons that they give you then express your concern - your his mother, if you're unhappy with anything they're doing you have a right to let them know about it!
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 10:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My son came home from school one day talking about his afternoon with Mrs. D - the school guidance counselor. Huh? Well it turns out another boy in class had regular meetings with the counselor for a variety of issues. If he had a good week, he got to pick one friend from the class to join him for games and social time with the counselor. She was trying to help this kid be more appropriately social. That afternoon my son was simply part of the therapy. My point is sometimes it's not quite what you think it is at first blush. Before you jump to conclusions, call the teacher and ask what's going on.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have a hard time thinking it could be anything serious with out them notifying you... I agree with ldmrmom also about the possibility of it being anther child completely that is involved it it. My son is Asperger's and in 'Friendship club' every few weeks he another couple of Aspies and a few NT children are taken into the Counselors room for games and small group stuff for a 20-30 mins to help the Aspie children learn social skills. It could be nothing at all to be worried about but I would still contact the school just in case.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010