so my one month old has really dry flaky skin on her face

she has really dry skin on her cheeks and forehead and a patch of dead flaky skin on her lower forehead and between her eyebrows. i feel like i should scrub the dead flaky skin off but i know babies have sensitive skin. i'm also afraid to put lotion on her face cause she's a sweater and i don't want her to sweat the lotion into her eyes. how to i get rid of her dry skin, i can't imagine it's comfortable for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had horrible skin and of course passed it on to 2 of my 4 kids! lol Sucks, let me tell ya! The flaky skin on the face is fairly common. Use a soft tooth brush to gently scrub it away during a bath. Doing it when the skin is dry will just make it red and look worse. Use baby oil, then a bath and brush it away. May take several tries. Also use Aveeno baby lotion, my favorite is the Lavendar, but any of that line is great. They also have an oatmeal bath- worked great for my son's dry skin and eczema. Good Luck!! oh, and if you don't mind the smell or cost, use olive oil instead of baby oil. Better for the skin! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I hear breast milk works. Sounds silly but it actually does. Just squirt a little on her face and just lather a little and then wipe it with a wash cloth.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i don't have any breast milk. i never produced much and what little i had dried up within a week after birth
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my 3k old also has dry skin on his face. Ive been using the Aveeno lotion (fragrance free) and it's been working great! good luck and congrats on your little one!!! :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Try Eucerin it's gentle and it works well and use Cetaphil to wash your LO's face helps with dryness and baby acne. Congratulations also :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• new babies can be flaky and dry all over. i thought my LO was shedding like a snake! shes 6 weeks and still has it a lil bit. i dont worry about removing the flakes if they dont come off with a light rubbing with my finger. besides, there will just be more flakes tomorrow : ) i do keep her well moisturized but i only use a tiny bit on her face.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2010