When did you start to get milk?

I'm thinking bout bf but i only have like two months left n i'm due....I still have gotten no milk that i have noticed n i was just woundering when everybody else started to get milk?

mommie_to_be08

Asked by mommie_to_be08 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My milk didn't come in until 4-5 days after my daughter was born. I didn't even have colostrum until after she was born. I pumped a lot in the first few days to help my milk come in. If you're still thinking about bf, I would suggest seeing if your local hospital has a bf course to take. I took one and it was very good and I learned a lot. If you can, I think bf is defintely the way to go. It's such an awesome gift that you have to give your baby!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 10:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Some women will "leak" prior to giving birth, others do not. Either way, your breast will surely get bigger before birth! Your body basically has a trigger and knows when the baby is born - it's a hormonal release. You will first produce colostrum, then once your body recognizes the demand for milk, you will start producing regularly. Don't be worried that you're not expelling any milk yet. If you have any problems once baby is born, a nursing coach from your county's health department or someone from the local Le Leche League can help you with any breastfeeding issues you're having. Good luck and kudos to you for wanting to BF!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have had three pregnancies and never had milk before I had a baby. It came in 3 days after each birth. At birth- if you do not have milk already... Your body does produce colustrum which all a baby needs until your milk comes in. If you are determined to breastfeed, do not let anyone tell you your baby needs supplementing until your milk comes. It will screw up your supply and your will find it difficul to wean the supplement
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes, milk does not come in until after the baby is born. Also, I want to add not to try to express or pump any milk now because it can cause your uterus to contract and may send you into labor.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• good advice from pp. also, dont be surprised if your boobs get 3x as big as they are now. im a lil chest but once i had the milk i was in a D for about a week until it leveled out, and they hurt too, but i think thats because i had to leave my son for one night.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• 2-3 days after delivering. she is 10months and we are still going strong :)
    emmyjosmommy

Answer by emmyjosmommy at 3:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My milk came in 2 days after birth. Sometimes it can take 3-4 days after birth. You can still breastfeed because right now your breasts are producing colostrum, which is vital for the baby in the first few days of life.
    mommy4life15

Answer by mommy4life15 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2008