Elementary students losing recess time for bathroom breaks?

My son is in third grade. He told me yesterday that he lost 5 minutes of recess time because he had to use the restroom. He has a chance at 9 am recess, 11:30 lunch, and 2 pm recess to use the restroom. Any other time if he has to go, he loses recess time. I can see how this would keep kids from using the bathroom as an excuse to miss class time. But also, doesn't this encourage children to hold it so they don't get punished. Holding urine isn't healthy, especially not for a child. The kids are asked to bring a waterbottle to school daily so he is drinking constantly throughout the day. I am just not really sure how I feel about this policy. I think if a child was making it habit to use the restroom during class time they could enforce something like that. Any ideas, thoughts? Do your children have similar rules.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's BS. They don't let kids be kids anymore. I'd complain. I'd go up there and ask if he goes constantly or if it was just a one time thing. If it was a one time thing I'd raise hell. No child should be punished for going when nature calls.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• no i have never heard of it..m/b u should talk to other parents an see what they have heard from their children an what they think..
    also go talk to the principal an express your feelings an it u are still not satisfied call the superintendant an complain...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My husband and I have an appointment with the teacher Monday. This is either a new policy this year, or a policy for this new teacher
    He had the same teacher the past two years, and she would schedule bathroom breaks during the day where the entire class would have an opportunity to use the bathroom and refill their waterbottles. She did it between morning recess and lunch and then again between lunch and afternoon recess. Like I said, I could see if it were habitual. But Thursday was only the 4th day of school here. Not even a week in. My husband is livid.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Certainly when the kids urgently need to go they can't stop them, however kids do need to train themselves to be able to schedule breaks, it's also very benificial to parents as well. We don't always have rest rooms available everywhere we go and unless the kids learn a bit of control you'll be sending them behind a tree or walking them down an alley as tennagers.
    beachmom22000

Answer by beachmom22000 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Control is something you gain as you get older. You can't just train yourself. The bladder is a muscle that get stronger as you get older. And it is bad to hold it. It's not healthy and can cause serious problems the older you get. If you gotta go, go. Take it from someone who had urinary issues until I was 13. My urethra had to be stretched in surgery. Even though I went to the bathroom, I would retain urine that would slowly leak out because it all couldn't come out normally. It's not fun to be picked on or ridiculed and punished for something you have no control over.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• And perhaps I am sensitive about it because I had bladder control issues as a kid. I have overactive bladder and I wet my bed until I was about 12. I simply couldn't control it. Even now if I laugh too hard, cough a lot, have a powerful sneeze, I leak a little. I do kegels religiously, and I take medication for it. But even with those precautions I still have to make that a forefront of my life.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm sensitive too. Can you tell? :D
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I've always had dr. notes saying I could go to the bathroom when I wanted too but my kindergarten teacher wouldn't let me go. I got mad and went and peed in her chair. Shining moment of that year and I didn't get in trouble for it because my mom knew I was having issues with her over it. She was the one who put that idea in my head too.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• o boy i remember in kindergarten when i had to go (#2 though) and it was not during a 'scheduled' break. i raised my hand and everything, but the teacher told me no, i already missed my chance. yeah, i crapped myself lmao. definately talk to the teacher. especially since they're telling them to drink lots of water.... hello.... it has to come out sometime lol. i hope she will be reasonable and change the policy for the whole class.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• 3 times during the day is more than enough for most kids. When teachers let kids whenever they want, some kids will go fifty times a day. He'll get used to (well, his bladder will) the times he can go and he won't miss class time to use the restroom.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010