So do you think adopting babies from third world countries is an act of good will or a trend?

I was watching a rerun of Oprah today and they did a segment on a family that adopted a Haitian child after the earthquake. I remember she did a previous segment on families who adopted kids from Africa or something like that and I'm starting to think that there seems to be some sort of trend going on. If you adopt children from another country you get to appear on Oprah. And with celebrities doing it it seems like it's more of a trend and a way to have fifteen minutes of fame than an act of good will.

I dunno. What do you think?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i questioned it a whole lot...cause i had a friend whom i met in college who says he was adopted from a 3rd world country..kenya he said his family allowed him to be adopted @ 3 by husband an wife both were @ 16...ran til he thought he was far enough away from them...he could have been lying but it made me question 3rd world adoptions..let alone adoptions period
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My mom was adopted from Okinawa and my grand parents were great people! Strict but good people. But now a days it seems like people do it to get famous.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You know...It's a touchy subject....but what's imporant is if you watched Oprah today, the little girl Claire has a much better life than what she did before, that's all that matters! It tore me up when they were saying she ate like she would never be able to eat again...
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 1:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm glad for the little girl, but she also missed her friends and family. So it is a touchy subject and it just seemed like the couple did it to get on Oprah. Didn't anyone ever see Mommie Dearest?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• it depends.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• People have been adopting internationally long before anyone gave a shit what Oprah thought about anything (or Angelina and Madonna, either). It may be trendy when you see celebs jumping on the bandwagon, but it takes years for us normal worthless people to do, and it's not cheap. That's not a trendy thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• With so many AMERICAN children needing good, loving homes...I think it's a trend! You know the old saying...."charity begins at home." I think celebrities and everyday people who with means and the desire to adopt, should consider those here in the US already in need of homes--regardless of how difficult it may be.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• With so many AMERICAN children needing good, loving homes.

There's a bit of a myth to that. Yes, there are kids here who need homes, but the vast majority of kids in the foster care system are not eligible to be adopted. They are locked in because the court is required to give the birth parents as many opportunities as they can to regain custody. This country is filled with foster parents who would love to adopt the kids in their care, but no matter how well equipped they are to do so and how much they love the kids, they can't, because the kids' parents still have a thread of legal right that cannot be severed. People go international because while it may take 1-2 years that way, it can take even longer here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Then shouldn't we be lobbying to CHANGE the foster system's policies--whether on the state or national level? We seem to be pretty good at demanding that OTHER well established laws/practices be bent in order to accommodate "modern times," so why not work to change an antiquated system and cut through all the red tape....for the betterment of the CHILDREN who need good and loving homes?!

If I didn't have my plate full with two special needs children of my own, my husband and I would adopt. Instead we have chosen to financially help to support two local chapters of Catholic Charities, and Concern.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think adopting from anywhere is a gesture of good will.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2010