Dyslexic hearing?? Seriously?

Our ENT recommended today that I take my 4 yr old daughter to an Audiologist in his clinic to check her hearing. We've been having some really odd problems with her. Things like not hearing what we just said when she's standing a foot in front of us, hollaring at her upstairs, and then having to go get her then she swears she didn't hear us- covering her ears when a toilet flushes, or the sink running...it's not every time, but it's often enough to get my attention... Her appt is a little ways out, but I'm curious to learn more about this. He said the brain just doesn't interpret things the way that we say them, she hears us, she just can't make sense of it...?? She's a super smart girl, she never gets sick, she eats the healthiest I've ever seen a 4 yr old eat, she's active, fun, loving, sweet- and cute too boot, but is it really plausible she could have an intermitent hearing problem???

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Sure. If that's what the Dr. tells you when you go. I'm not one so I wouldn't know. Hope everything goes good for her though. Maybe it'll just be a case of selective hearing.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I've been under the suspicion my DD has some sort of intermitent hearing problem... simple sounds really annoy her and she says are loud. Then other regular sounds she doesnt seem to acknoweledge.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 1:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes, it's not really called dyxlexia for hearing but there are a host of auditory problems that impact individuals in different ways. A child may be able to hear just fine but there could be issues with how the brain processes the information it is receiving. I had my own son tested a few years ago for purposes of a school evaluation; it was not an issue for him but it needed to be ruled out.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Wow your DD sounds exactly like mine! I never thought much of it but here's a bump for you because now I want to know too! Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I will repost after her appt next month. She goes back on the 22nd of September. Thanks all!!
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• She could def. be having an auditory sensory issue. Good luck with your appt.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• we are having our 3 year old tested for similar issues... she cries that the toilet is too loud, or when i type that it's so loud she can't hear the tv or us talking... but it's clearly not that loud... but then she can look right at you, 2 feet away, you talk to her and she will act as if you've said nothing...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010