What would you do if someone was banging on your door at 1 AM screaming Help!Help!

Let's say you live in a upper middle class neighborhood, no shootings or drugs, people go to work, come home, raise their kids. Would you open the door thinking that someone is being attacked and is asking for shelter or would you think that the person banging on the door is an attacker who wants to get into your house? Does it make a difference whether the voice is male or female? What if you have small kids in your house? Is that an excuse not to open the door? Would you get your gun and risk killing someone?
This whole question started out from a movie I've seen recently and I can't answer it to myself.

glenndoir

Asked by glenndoir at 1:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont live in a crime area. I would grab my hunting rifle! Maybe not for the knocker, but whatevers chasing them!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would call 911. Either way, they would need to be there. If it is an attacker, I need protection. If it is someone in need of help, I am probably not going to be able to suitably help them. In an ideal world, you could open the door and know you were making the right choice. Unfortunately, you can't know that. And regardless of all else, as a mother, my children's safety comes before the safety of anyone else in my eyes. So if my kids were home, I wouldn't open that door. I would be more inclined to do so if I were alone or just with adults.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would look through the peephole or out the window discretely and see who it was and what was going on, and that would determine if I would answer the door or not.. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'd call the police either way.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I kinda had something like that happen actually. I still lived at my father's. It was like 1 or 2 in the morning and I was just getting ready to go to bed (still in college or something) and as I'm washing my face...the doorbell rings.Talk about freaky. I got my Dad and we went downstairs. There was a girl about my age crying at the door. She had had car problems and I guess had forgotten her cell or it had died or something and didn't know where to go because all the other houses were dark.

Dh and I live in kind of a weird neighborhood now. I think I'd leave it up to DH to make the decision on what to do or just call the cops and let them deal with it.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would say go 2 doors down . He's a Sheriff!

Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 1:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Tough question...you want to do the right thing, but unfortunately, not everyone is wired that way. If you're wrong...how do you sleep at night? Right? BTW, was the movie "A Clockwork Orange"?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i dont know..thats a good question
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It would probably depend on the situation and if I was home alone or not. We live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, I haven't seen anyone that strikes me as "scary". That said, we ALWAYS lock our doors, both dead-bolts. Always have, and probably always will. There's been at least one instance in the middle of the night (like 2 or 3 in the morning) that DH has heard someone trying to get in the front door. He assumed it was a wandering drunk or something that went to the wrong door. But who knows.

I'd probably call DH in to deal with the person calling for help while I went to call the cops. If they really need emergency help, there's not a whole lot I can do. And if they happened to be the 'attacker' type, DH is far tougher and more capable than he looks.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I did have something happen back when I was in middle or high school. I was in the living room with a friend of mine, watching movies, etc late at night (I'd guess it was probably 1am). Some strange (semi-homeless looking) guy came to the door. He wasn't claiming any kind of emergency or anything like that. He said he saw the light on and was hungry (or whatever, I don't really remember). I of course didn't let him in the house (I wasn't actually worried or concerned about my safety, but I'm not an idiot), but I closed/locked the door and went and got him something to eat and made him some hot chocolate. Then stood at the door and talked to him for a few minutes while he ate/drank. He thanked us and went on his way. He was polite and really seemed to appreciate it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2010