My daughter's (cloth) diaper reaks of ammonia in the morning, how do I get rid of the stink? (I am NOT willing to use disposables, so please don't suggest them)

ArmyWifeMomof2.

Asked by ArmyWifeMomof2. at 3:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like she may need more water intake.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 4:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i washed mine in bleach. but i ran the washer twice, the first normal the second, i didn't add soap. i works for the smells and the stains. baking soda in the wash helps too. if you don't want to use bleach. but thats why i run the complete cycles twice, to make sure i got all the bleach out.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Have you stripped the diapers? My son's was like that in the morning, and truthfully, we ended up using sposies at night, because not only the diaper reeked, but my entire kid did too. Hope you find a solution.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• PS white vinegar in the rinse cycle works for smells in general.
    Krysta622

• Not sure if you know this but cloth diapers require being washed twice each time. I only say this b/c a lot of people are unaware of that in the beginning. Good luck!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Is it just the night time diaper? Is it a different diaper than your others? What kind of diaper is it and what is it made of? How long is she in it before you change it?

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We've been using cloth for a little over a year now and I've never had to wash them twice per load o.O I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle (about a cup) and I stripped them about two weeks ago. My son's never smells nearly as bad as my daughters (and they pretty much use the same diapers)
    ArmyWifeMomof2.

Comment by ArmyWifeMomof2. (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Try stripping them, make sure that all the soap is out of them. And try using a breathable cover (like fleece, or wool), those helped when my son's diapers reeked of ammonia. He has super strong urine.
    eeyore530

Answer by eeyore530 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We started washing in only really hot water and no more ammonia smell. I originally did it just to get rid of of the smell... but they came just as clean!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2010