Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What type of doctor can diagnose & treat a bipolar person?

Through several years of research & living with the ups, downs, and all-arounds (mood swings), I truly believe that my husband is bipolar. I love him, and I know the wonderful person that he really is, but sometimes he is just not himself. For several years, I have tried to get him to accept that he may be bipolar. All I ask is that he go see a doctor and, if he is, get on the appropriate medicine. I refuse to let these crazy moods continue to happen now that we have a baby.

Anyway, last night he asked me what kind of doctor could tell him if he was & put him on some medicine! YAY for hubby!!! I'm ECSTATIC and SO proud of him! He finally realizes there is a problem & wants help!

Now, the question is, can our family doctor do this? Or will he need to see a psychologist or something? Any input is very appreciated!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Health

Answers (4)
  • psych and probably some therapy will help. it could be a personality disorder and not bipolar too! they are extremely similar. Anyways- your family doctor cant do that but let us know how it goes!

    Answer by Sandiii at 11:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

  • you need to go to a therapist and theres a medical doctor in almost every office unless the thrapist alredy hasthe degree to right prescriptions. they diagnose you and give you what you need.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

  • I would recommend an initial visit to his regular physician There are some medical conditions that can have similar symptoms and need to be ruled out before jumping into a medicated regime. Diabetes, thyroid problems, sodium imbalance and MS are a few examples of possible hidden conditions whose symptoms include major mood swings. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who can prescribe medication to correct chemical imbalances that affect behavior.

    If your hubby believes his symptoms may have a psychological base, a consultation with a therapist may prove beneficial as well. Psychologists do not prescribe medication, they are "talk docs".

    Your family physician is probably the most practical initial contact to ask a few questions and run a few tests in order to determine which treatment options to pursue.

    Hooray for your hubby for taking the first step!

    Answer by greenergypsy at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

  • Psychiatrist. They prescribe the drugs that help with the mood swings. He will probably need to see a psychologist too, they do the talk therapy that is commonly associated with bipolar. Then probably a counselor for group therapy with other bipolar people. Just for the record though, I was considered bipolar...get his thyroid checked too! Thyroid problems can cause bipolar symptoms.

    Answer by raybell at 12:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.