I need serious potty training help!!

My son will be 3 next month, and I have tried everything I can think of to get him potty trained with no success! I have tried candy rewards/briberey, letting him run around naked or in underwear, 3 potty chairs, cherrios in the toilet, sticker charts, potty elmo, a $40 potty seat that talks and plays music, ect. ect.....I can't be the only mom in the world with a child sooo stubborn! He knows exactly what I am talking about and all about the potty process but he just doesn't want to and so he refuses to go! How can I get him to want to use the potty???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• Now all you can do is wait. My daughter is being the same way. She will go in the potty, but only when I tell her. And if I don't tell her, she will pee on herself and run around in wet panties. She doesn't care about being wet, and never has.
    It's just a matter of waiting for them to do what you have taught them.
    I totally know how you feel, though. It is so frustrating to hear how good other toddlers are doing, know that you are doing your damndest to train, and not getting any cooperation.
    JUST KEEP REMINDING YOURSELF YOU HAVE DONE ALL YOU CAN SO FAR, AND THE REST IS UP TO HIM!!!
    Trust me, I have to tell myself this all the time.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm having the same problem...with a child the same age. I just set myself a timer and take him automatically every 30 minutes if he is drinking juice and every hour if he isn't.
    Iheartsushi

Answer by Iheartsushi at 11:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Stay away from the pull-ups. With my stepdaughter I limited pull-ups to nighttime only. I used those old fashioned cloth training pants. They held a little more then underwear, but still got them pretty wet if they go in their pants. Around the house she would wear her clothes over the training pants alone. If we went out, I slipped the good old plastic pants over the training pants. It worked great because she didn't care for the pee running down her legs, so was more apt to use the toilet. I've heard that boys do take longer. Kate was potty trained by about 2 1/2, so you're not too bad off.
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 11:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have been told if you tell them their fave cartoon charachter will call when they do something in the toilet that works. And have a friend on standby that first and second day to be that charachter to congratulate them when they do it! I haven't tried it yet, my kid is nine months, but thats what I plan to do. Good luck!!!!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• PUT DIAPERS BACK ON HIM AND TELL HIM IF AND/OR WHEN HE WANTS TO BE A BIG BOY LIKE (FILL IN A 3 + YR OLD HE LIKES TO PLAY WITH) YOU WILL GET HIS BIG BOY UNDERWEAR BACK OUT. SEE WHAT HAPPENS. SOME BOYS TAKE A LONGER TIME TO TRAIN. IT IS NOT YOU. HE WILL DO IT WHEN HE WANTS TO. IT SOUNDS LIKE HE IS PUTTING UP A POWER STRUGGLE WITH YOU AND SO FAR HE HAS ALL THE POWER BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE HIM GO. SO JUST ACT LIKE YOU DON'T CARE IF HE STAYS A BABY. WHEN HE WANTS TO GROW UP HE CAN DO IT HIMSELF. TELL HIM WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WHY. I GIVE IT 2 WEEKS AND HE WILL WANT HIS UNDERWEAR AND NOT WET THEM. IF HE WETS THEM PUT DIAPER BACK ON. CONTINUE UNTIL HE AGREES NOT TO PEE IN HIS PANTS. TELL HIM IT IS UNACCEPTABLE AND IF HE IS GOING TO DO IT HE MUST WEAR A BABY DIAPER.
    TFF1963

Answer by TFF1963 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• He might not be ready. My 3 year son has never gone on the potty. Just wait. It will happen eventually - what's the rush?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Patients Mamma. Boys are tougher for some reason. I do not believe in manipulation scolding or spanking. Just lovingly say try again when he has an oops or praise praise when he goes. If he is showing no interest wait a bit and try again. Books are helpful. Do not make this a power struggle or it will go on forever. Do some research online. It will tell you there are certain pyhsical and emotional milestones they must master before they are ready and each child is different. I have three boys all of whom are trained. Slow and steady wins the race. They may be young but they are not stupid...you can lead a horse to water.....
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2008