Bashing candidates?

I just replied to another question on this site and I was wondering why can't some people support whichever candidate they want without bashing and saying hateful and mean things about the other?

bxbsmommy

Asked by bxbsmommy at 11:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I have wondered the same thing. Any time I get frustrated or upset about it, I just walk away from the conversation, and think about everything I could have said. I don't let my mouth just run (or on the computer my fingers just type). I censor myself the best I can, because while its frustrating and I want to spew out some hatred right back at them, I know its not going to make anything better. It just stinks because I like to have a good debate, but I don't think a debate includes name calling or swearing, and unfortunately, many people do.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• IGNORANCE. That's why. Some people only know how to argue by becoming abusive. I call those people weak.

RenDanielle

Answer by RenDanielle at 11:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Also, many of those people post anonymously.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 11:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Usually the Anon posters who spew hatred are doing it just for drama. Some people post anon because they do not want to be harassed, but its easy to tell the difference between the two.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'll admit, I've been known to say some mean things about the candidate I'm not voting for...but for the most part, I either try to say something nice or not say anything at all. I wish everyone would do that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I know, right? The candidates are only human. Why all the hate? If people would put that much effort into something constructive the world would be a better place!

I'm going to follow my own advice and quit poisoning my mind with this (not your ?, all of them) political garbage. Time to get off CM for today and go out and enjoy one of the last beautiful days we have left!!!
    Anonymous

• Bashing - don't agree with, however, pointing out documented accurate facts about someone DOES NOT constitute bashing!!!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 1:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• blessed...um bashing as in he's stupid...he's a racist...she's an idiot...again i say bashing.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 3:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My assumption: it is against the CafeMom way.

My opinion: if you came to your decision about your candidate based on facts and intellect and issues - not just one single issue - how can I fault you for your choice?
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 4:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Politics and religion are the two topics that ignite passion from people because their choices are so personal.

I remember the days when people did not ask who you are voting for and did not talk about it. It used to be a private matter. I think for the reason of knowing it would become a heated argument.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008