How to choose a good pre school??? How much do the cost??

I am looking for a pre school for my son. But am scared about it. What should I look for in a pre school? What questions should I ask?

Mommy2AB

Asked by Mommy2AB at 3:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• teacher/student ratio,learning style(structured,go with the flow etc,),potty training required?,Are field trips taken?
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You can seek out a Cooperative Preschool. It is parent-owned, so you will be very involved with everything. The monthly tuition is generally lower because of all of the volunteer-time the parents put it. The costs vary. A lot. We paid $140 a month, and that is on the low-end of what other preschools in the area charge. Good luck.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 4:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I just found a local preschool in our small town that charges only $65 a month for tuition. That's for 3 days a week, 2.5 hours a day. Potty trained is required (pull-ups for precautionary purposes are ok), there is a monthly field trip, and parents are required to assist in the class 3x a month.

Think about what is important to you. (Personally I feel better that there is a parent in the classroom at all times.)
    Field trips? Snacks served? Outdoor time? Parties? Morning or afternoon? 1x, 2x, 3x, 5x a week? Tuition (of course)? Is it associated with a church (many are)?
    chelsea_renee

Answer by chelsea_renee at 4:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I was looking for one that has a school attached to it. The school district we live in sucks. So my son had to be able to transition to their kindergarten class easily. I wanted a small class size and something we could afford. I was also very happy to find out that by the end of this year he will know basic math, basic computer skills, how to read and basic Spanish.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I second what chelsea_renee said!! :D
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Costs will vary dramatically by area and school. You'll want to visit a few in your area to get an idea on what the cost range in. You'll definitely want to decide what's important to you about the school. Do you want strictly academally focused or are you more concerned about developing social skills? Field trips are good for older kids but younger kids may not benefit as much. (You don't mention how old your child is). Also, ask to see the curriculm (see what they cover, at what pace, and to make sure they have one). You're better off to have certified teachers so ask. Not all private schools have certified teachers. Ask about teacher turnover (i.e. how long have the teachers been there). High turnover can be a sign of a problem. Definitely ask about potty training policy and what happens if your child has an accident (i.e. wil you have to come change him/her). After that, trust your "feel" about the school.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• One other suggestion. Ask how they handle kids who have difficulty adjusting. How long will they give them before suggesting you wait another year? Your child may not have any problems but it will give you a sense of how they handle this type issue. (The first school I choose for my son I learned after the fact didn't have much patience for kids who didn't fall right into line. My son likes nothing better than to test boundaries. Needless to say, the director and I had a fairly bumpy relationship... I eventually moved him to another school that was a far better match for him.) You might also ask about how structured the program is and how often they go room to room. (i.e. do they go to other rooms for music, art, etc or is it all in one). The transitions can be tougher for kids who thrive on structure.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Thanks. for you answers, My is 3 1/2 I was thinking of enrolling him next year when he turns 4, but with so many schools out there and some with waiting list. I need to begin to look for one. Why are some schools so expensive some are on the low end $500.00 a month, but I am going to continue to look and find one that I could help out.
    Mommy2AB

Comment by Mommy2AB (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The most important thing is the ability to be able to go before enrolling and check it out. A school that is very open in their policy is very important to me.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2010