How do you feel about the Anonymous option?

I completely understand the point of it... For those embarrassing questions and responses that you don't want the world to connect you to, like "I need sex tips" or "why do my feet stink"? lol...

BUT.... recently, it seems that the "check this box to appear anonymously" option has been really abused. Rude, harsh, straight out mean, yet cowardly people have been using this option to belittle and demean other women who are here for help, friendship, etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting really tired of it. ((continued below))

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 11:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in About CafeMom

• When I have something to say, I say it. I won't hide behind an anonymous name. If you're that ashamed of what you're writing, then you shouldn't be writing it in the first place! I understand that there are a lot of dumb questions asked on here. "Am I pregnant?" does get old.... But when I see one of these that just seems to make no sense to me whatsoever, if I can't think of anything nice to say, I just don't say anything at all! Imagine that... Thumper was on to something.

How do you feel about this anonymous option? And if I get a mean, anonymous response to this, I may just die. haha...
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think the anonymous option is good. Some people don't want to share their identity or if they had to wouldn't ask the question. So many responders get down right mean, even to the most innocent questions. It is always your option as the reader to skip the question if you find it to be "troll" like. Nothing wrong with wanting to remain confidential. It is your choice if you see an Anon post to skip it.

RenDanielle

Answer by RenDanielle at 11:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yeah, i'm tired of people hiding behind anon too- too scared to ever say anything themself!
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 11:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• On one hand I think it's okay because someone may feel uncomfortable with the situation. They could be looked at sideways or judged. I couldn't see fault in that. On the other hand you see people (lets call them children/ self-hatred/ lifeless beings) using the option to post idiotic responses. They feel protected when in all actuality they are cowards. I don't understand why people give them attention. I completely ignore them as if their responses were never made.
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 11:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If I have something to say that would benefit someone else on a sensitive subject like adoption or money I will make  use of the anonymous button rather than withhold my information/opinion/experience. But if it is of no benefit to the other person, then I try to keep my mouth shut. I wish others would do the same.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I agree with you, if you are asking a very personal question then you should be able to post anon. but I am sick and tired of people using it to bash others. I never hide behind the anon button because I stand up for what I believe.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It amazes me (I don't know why) that those that respond and say horrific things to people on this site try to be righteous by claiming they are better in some way for not hiding behind the Anon option.

RenDanielle

Answer by RenDanielle at 12:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think it is cowardly, immature, and silly not to leave who you are. If you don't stand behind what you say, you should not be talking.
    missyw5

Answer by missyw5 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I think the OP should have the option to include the anonymous button in their question. Then they could force people to come out of hiding if they wanted to or keep people anonymous if they wanted to. There are many questions that don't need the anonymous button...that's what starts drama.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I always check anon. I just don't want people knowing who I am.... just me, I guess. I dont bash, though. I, too skip questions that are just silly, and ones that are just asking for an argument.
    Anonymous