Money questions and delimmas during relationsip

We had to file chapter 7. The bills are still sky high. I have not worked in 15 years. No one will hire me without skills. I got into a car accident trying to find another employer. Meanwhile, he does not pay the bills so he can pay the mortgage. I asked him to pay the car insurance and he is giving me such a hard time. Meanwhile he gave me $80 for the week and he went next door to find money at moms. What should I say to him? I don't want to drive without car insurance esp. with my son and his friend too. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• It sounds like he's trying, I'm sorry you are in this spot. I've had to drive without insurance before. At the time, I honestly didn't have another choice. I'll tell you that when I finally was able to afford insurance again, it was more expensive because I had a lapse in coverage. In Ohio, if you're in an accident and you don't have insurance you are automatically at fault, and the fines are really steep. Much luck to you, hope things turn around soon.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I got a job in a Hotel cleaning rooms. I had not worked in 10 years. You need to just find a job that will hire you. As for your SO. He is paying the mortage? At least you will have a roof over your head. Do you have bus sevice in you city?

Answer by louise2 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Is your car insurance more than $80? it sounds like he is doing the best he can.
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Tough question. I don't want to tell you to drive without car insurance but when times are tough, you kind of have to prioritize. If it means you won't have food on the table for the week then I would say take the chance of not paying the insurance. That being said, I had full coverage on my car and got into an at fault accident- due to technichalities in the contract, my insurance did not cover the $5,000 worth of damage. Do you know anyone that would let you borrow a car until you can get the insurance paid for? Also, it takes at least 30 days without payment for your insurance to cancel (just saying). Good luck and I hope your job search proves to be successful.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• check out www.care.com and www.sittercity.com for job ideas. You search by zipcode and there are jobs for house cleaning, house sitting, pet care, senior care, childcare. Also www.indeed.com
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• There are more low/no skills jobs out there than you can imagine. Start at McDonald's or whatever fast food of your choice. Go walk the mall and fill out applications. Always hand it in, filled out completely, to a manager. Stay positive and good luck. By the way, craigslist has always been a good resource for me.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:14 AM on Aug. 28, 2010