What is the worst advice you have ever recieved about raising a new baby?

From family, friends, doctors, or even strangers... ever had someone give you advice that did not work or just sounded nuts?

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 7:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The worst advise I've gotten was to put cereal in DD's bottle to make her sleep longer. Thank God I didn't do it... I was nursing anyway. Other bad advise, to pierce DD's ears so that she wouldn't be "too afraid" to do it later in life, I didn't do that either. I'm sure there was other terrible advise I just can't remember. The BEST advise I've gotten was not to take other people's advise and go with my own instincts.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• With a new born baby "Just let him scream for a while, it's good for his lungs." --False.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• BisketLIss--it does not always take long. I know someone who lost their baby to SIDS. Her mother in law told her to put her baby on the stomach for the same reason you stated. She checked on the baby frequently and it still happened. So, it really does matter.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• put cereal in the bottle
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• to not tell my son no bc it's negative. instead to divert his attn so i don't have to discipline him ever.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• so called father of my daughter actually told me not to hold her not that much when she was a newborn because she would get spoiled. obviously i did not listen.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Put some whiskey on his gums when he starts teething and he's fussy. Oh yeah? So what do you give him for the hangover?
    I got very good at my Bobble-head imitation. I don't know what it is, but it seems like all of the unsolicited advice starts as soon as you get pregnant. Of course, there's always the gem or two that really works, so you can't just tune them all out. Very frustrating!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• "Jump up the second he makes a peep." - False.
    It's important to let the baby learn to comfort themselves. I'm not telling you to let the baby scream for hours, but if the baby awakes and is fussing let them figure it out. If it's time for a feeding, then that's different, but generally speaking.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• lol people telling me i should supplement nursing with formula. ok.... is that why my baby doubled her birthweight in the first month? not getting enough? especially my mil. everytime the baby would cry she would say oh she's hungry. you're not making enough milk. hello.... she's a 14lb. 1 mo! off the charts but she's starving to death? whatever lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• All of the "put him on his back" "on his side" "on his stomach" crap. For the first three or four months people would ask "how is he sleeping?" And I would reply "some days well, some not so well.." And they'd say "are you putting him on his back?" I would always have to explain that if I put him on his back, he'd sleep for about 3 minutes, and then wake up screaming. If I put him on his stomach, he'd sleep soundly for three or four hours. My advice to moms now is to lay your child down however you feel most comfortable, and however the baby sleeps best...this is their growing time, and they need their sleep. (I'm aware of the risk of SIDS. Children should never be left for long periods of time unattended anyway, so it shouldn't matter how you put your baby to sleep..)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2010