10month old favoring one breast over the other

My 10 month old who I had been nursing exclusively until the last 2 months is favoring one breast over the other. I'm not sure if its because I had a small surgery done on my one breast to remove a lump or not. He will nurse on my right (smaller) for a few minutes then go to the left (larger) for about 20 min. The larger one is about a D and the smaller one is about an A so there is a huge size difference. Is there anything I can do about this to get the milk back or not? Also what can i do to not make it look so noticeable?
Thanks

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 7:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm guessing that the milk comes out of your left one more easily. That's probably why he prefers it, he doesn't have to work so hard. Just as a side note, my milk came out of the right one more easily and I never had surgery. It's just the way some of us are built, I guess. Can you pump the right one after he is done with it? You might even have to pump more often. That will stimulate it to make more milk and keep the size similar to the right one. Then you'll have some milk stored up since he's getting what he wants from the other side, an added bonus!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• its definitely the size difference. but becareful to not let him have his way, when u feed through the bigger breast, help him hold it off his mouth, maybe its too heavy for him. but u must empty both breasts so u wont end up with abscess, like me, it got very ugly.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• have you been pumping the one that he dont feed on as much ???my dd favored my right side but it wasnt bad .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You can have the baby nurse the smaller breast when he is sleepy or otherwise won't notice. The size difference will balance out after you get done breastfeeding. When you go out you could use something in your bra to even out the size. It could be as simple as a bunch of nursing pads or you could use something like a water filled insert.

I nursed siblings and each had their own breast. When the older one weaned the younger one refused to nurse on both. I became very lopsided for way over a year of nursing. I evened out nicely.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010