Should a teacher have to right to refuse the restroom?

In my son's school there are multiple teachers who refuse to allow the kids to use the restroom. Seeing as they are in block scheduling they are in 4 classes a semester for an hour and 4o min each. They can go between classes if there is time or at lunch if there is time. Even still almost 2 hours then not having time between classes for getting books and getting across campus then another teacher who always says no. That's 4 hours of holding it. SHould teachers be allowed to just say 'no'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Our school had hall monitors, a teacher per wing who was off every period and was in charge of watching the halls for kids out of class. If a student was out of class, they had to have a pass to wherever they were supposed to be going, which was signed by the teacher, and a time was written on it. It helped cut down on kids sneaking out for smokes, and on kids asking for the bathroom when it wasn't necessary.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think they should. Do you have any idea how many kids say they have too pee in class just to roam the halls or sneak a cigarette in the bathroom? Smoking is harder during breaks when there are teachers watching and more kids. To keep the bad ones from doing crap like that they have to keep everyone from the bathrooms during class. If you gotta go bad enough you find a way during breaks. I think it's a good idea for bathrooms to only be used during class for emergencies instead of for every kid who say they need to pee.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't think they should be allowed to, but it doesn't surprise me that they do. I know I was amazed when I got into college and could actually leave to go to the restroom when I wanted.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No and I'd be really pissed off if I found out a teacher was making my kid "hold it"
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I have mixed feeling. I agree with Kiwismommy but at the same time it isn't fair to punish everyone for what a few stupid kids did. I think their should be so many opportunities offered per semester by each teacher. 1-2. That would hopefully keep kids from abusing the privilege.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I remember that when I was in highschool we had block classes. By the time you go to your locker for books you don't all the time have time to go to the bathroom so I think they should let you go since it isn't good to hold it in. What I use to do to this one teacher if I had to go and new I wasn't going to make it to class I would say Mrs.Watson can I go to the bathroom (for the actual bell rang). She would tell me yes, but then I had this one teacher if I asked her before the bell rang she would say you need to be back before the bell rings or you will have a detention for being late I think that is just wrong.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• oh ya my DD is going is starting kindergarden in a few days and our neighbors DD is started 2nd grade she said when her DD was in kindergarden that the kids would ask to go to the bathroom and the teacher wouldn't let them go she said they have bathroom breaks and if they don't go then they don't go. I think that is wrong to have a 5-6 year old holding it. Her DD was having accedents in school then they found out this was the reason.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i would be taking this to the school board and if they don't fix it, take it to the media.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• A teacher has to use really good judgment in cases like this. SOME kids abuse the privalage. Just to get out of class for whatever reason. And that can also get a teacher in trouble, if they allow a kid to go to the bathroom and they end up doing something bad

So, a teacher needs to be able to make a decision using their own judgment.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:06 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Try actually TEACHING in a class, and I bet you'll UNDERSTAND that you cannot allow every kid who asks to use the washroom to go and use it. You have to set some limitations, for MANY kids will just ask to go to get out of the room. Not to mention, many schools have a rule that no students shall walk down the hallway without an adult, which is why many teachers have bathroom TIMES, or only allow bathroom breaks during passing periods in higher grades. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2010