Went to the farmer's market and...

is it better to leave the fruits/veggies out at room temperature (I have some corn on the cob that I'm going to freeze however) or better to keep them in the fridge? I usually buy at the grocery store and put in the fridge, but just wondered if there was a better way to keep them "fresh" longer.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can freeze anything as long as you prep it right (blanch the corn before you freeze it, btw). You can find the methods here:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Tomatoes get mealy when they are put in the refrigerator, other than that I think most fruits/veggies can either be refrigerated or left on the counter. Corn is fine in the fridge for sure.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It depends. Tomatoes stay out, apples get refrigerated.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think if you're going to freeze it today, you can safely leave it out. Otherwise, fridge it so they don't lose their valuable vitamins. I just love a good farmer's market!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Everything you mentioned I would put in the fridge. I leave out fruit like apples, pears, plums, peaches, etc.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I was just reading that you should mimic the grocery stores in how you store your fruits and veggies. Everything you've listed sounds like it would belong in the fridge.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If it wasn't refrigerated yet at all, it would be okay to leave any of it out. But if it was you need to keep it refrigerated.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Spaghetti squash stays better at room temp. Cantaloupe - I leave it out til it's cut, then I refrigerate it. Carrots - if you store them properly they're better left out (cool dark room, in a bucket of sand if you have access to it). Cukes can be frozen if you make freezer pickles (soooooo good!). You can freeze the squash if you cook it first. You can freeze the cantaloupe after you cut it up - I like it frozen but it does change the texture if you thaw it out. I buy stuff at the farmers market all the time, and I also have a huge garden, and I've found a lot of things that are "supposed to be" refrigerated that stay good at room temp for quite a while.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I keep all veggies in the fridge. Some I blanch and freeze. The cukes I would make pickles out of, they are very good.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I got 5 ears of corn, some small cucumbers (they look like they would be used for making pickles), a cantaloupe, spaghetti squash and a bushel of carrots. Didn't get tomatoes cause I already have some. As far as I know, the corn is the only thing ok to freeze, right?
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010