Cats bad attitude

We have 3 cats and one of our cats who we kind of got left of with when our friends went on vacation and didnt want him back that was 4 yrs ago. Anyway for the past year or so this cat has been peeing on things like my husband shoes and blankets and almost anything plastic. The cat box is cleaned daily and we have 3 of them. He is also fixed and from what i was told was fixed when he was a kitten. I have no idea why he is like this nothing has changed everything is still the same. I'm on the verge of taking him to a no kill shelter because i'm tired of things getting ruined and am worried he is going to start peeing on my kids things. Should I take him to the vet and get him checked out? or just get rid of him?He is a good cat and our oldest son really likes him so this is so hard for me to figure out what to do.
thanks

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pets

• take him to the vet get the cat checked out
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Urinating in unusual places can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. Please take him to your vets and have him checked out before you resort to an animal shelter. Please know there is no such thing as a no kill animal shelter. While some shelters do not euthanize due to shortage of space, some will euthanize for length of time there, so if an animal is not adopted within say 6 months, it could be put down. It should be your LAST resort. If you do decide to find the cat another home, please ask the shelter if they have a free to good home board. Good luck! I hope the little guy stops messing all over the place.

BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• That can be a sign of a Urinary Tract Infection. I think the first thing I would do is rule that out. That is a much easier problem to solve than just inappropriate elimination. Behavioral problems in cats are a night mare.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If he has a urinary tract infection or crystals in his bladder he may be in pain and feel urgency, and urinating all over is a symptom.

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I know that the shelter by us is a no kill shelter they keep the animals even if they are never adopted, that would be our last resort. just trying to see if our current vet or another vet will work a payment plan or something with us since i just started a new job. Even if he has been doing this for a year it could stil be a UTI??
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes, it could still be a urinary tract infection. It could be another medical problem, such as diabetes. A shelter that doesn't euthanize on grounds of length of stay or space is a low kill shelter. To say they are a no kill shelter means they don't euthanize sick animals, or vicious animals, and is a lie, unless they are one of very very few places who ship out their unhealthy or poor tempered critters to another location to be euthanized.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Toms are know to have kidney problems, he really should be taken to the vet. Hope it works out for you.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:42 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You could also look into CareCredit.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• sounds behavioral...
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 9:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• take him to the vets
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010