Will Kilz work for what I'm trying to do?

I'm moving into my brother's old bedroom. Large portions of the wall have old tape residue from Ozzy and Metallica posters. I don't have the time (or will power) to scrub the walls before painting. Will Kilz work to make a nicely prepped surface for painting? I'd like to just paint over the walls, but I know the crud on the walls will make it look bad. I'm trying to find the quickest, easiest way to begin painting. What can I do?

paige8608

Asked by paige8608 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• no,it won't cover that. You need to use Goo Gone on it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Kilz is a great primer but I think if there is tape residue on the wall it will show through. You may have to scrub those areas first...good luck.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Would you be willing to sand over the spots first? Thats going to give you the best surface other wise you will still see where they were by an imperfection in the paint.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 9:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• goof off works. i buy it buy the gallon. its the same amount of work but less musles needed.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree with the others...proper prepping of the area will yield the best results. Unless you plan on covering the imperfections on the walls with pictures/posters, shelves, or furniture, you really shouldn't cut corners! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• No it won't work sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to do so unless you are ok with all the gunk showing through you will have to get rid of what is there and that means elbow grease and some goo gone or sanding will also work
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Goo Be Gone!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Use sand paper and sand off the tape residue. OR but wall paper paste/glue remover to get the tape residue off. Then prime and paint.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• KILZ won't cover tape residue.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2010