What kind of wood flooring do you like?

We are buying a new (to us) home and have some flooring to replace before we move in. I have allergies, so I can't have carpeting. My question is, what kind of wood flooring do you have/like? I want easy maintenance, as in I'll sweep or vacuum, and mop, but I don't want to be on my hands and knees waxing every week. What about stairs, do you have a carpeted runner? (We have a 3 yr old who has never lived with stairs before)

JawgaMom1

Asked by JawgaMom1 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Go with real wood. Have it installed, sanded, and finished by a professional. My husband does this for a living. Laminates, prefinished, etc. can't be sanded and refinished. Once they're scratched they will be that way forever. As far as types of wood, most people go with oak. Personally I prefer maple.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Bamboo floors would be my first choice, they are easy to maintain and are environmentally friendly. Second choice would be a sealed pine or oak, depending on the look you're going for. I had pergo in my last house, I hated the way they felt underfoot, but they are easy to maintain. We have hardwood throughout our house, our stairs don't have a runner and we have a 2.5 yo. We haven't had any problems at all. I sweep/mop once a week and spot-sweep as necessary.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If you want easy maintenance and durability ~ laminated wood floors. I have real oak hardwood floors and I love them, they have character, but can be damaged. Laminated floors like Pergo, I have heard, are awesome.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i have solid wood floors.i have had the laminate before and i would not suggest them. if you scratch the laminate then they're ruined. with the solid wood at least you can refinish them if they get damaged. we have the ones that are sealed and come ready to put together from the factory. you don't wax them..... they have a polyurethane finish on top and you just sweep them up and maybe a damp mop now and then. i don't have a runner on the stairs. i always thought it was such a pain to have carpet on the stairs..... very hard to clean!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I would stay away from Pergo or other laminate flooring ... it just does not compare to real wood and I've been told you cannot use it on stairs.

Bamboo floors are gorgeous; we have oak throughout our house (living room, dining room, family room, stairs). Wood floors are not hard to maintain at all and ours are gorgeous, even after 14 years (we do not have it in our kitchen, nor would we ever ... friends who have it in their kitchens always tell me the same thing ... "never again in the kitchen".
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We are definitely NOT going with a laminate. I think they look cheap...sorry to those who have them, plus, they have a lot of VOC's that would irritate my allergies. I've actually been considering bamboo because they are low in VOC's and have that sustainable benefit as an added bonus. Some hardwoods are supposed to be better than others with regard to VOC's, depending on the manufacturing technique. I'm trying to take into consideration all of the factors before I make a decision and cleaning is a big one. Thanks ladies!
    JawgaMom1

Comment by JawgaMom1 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We have Bruce hardwood floors......3/4 inch solid oak. Love them. I don't know about the VOC you mention though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2010