Do you think its tackie to have a babyshower if its not your 1st born?

For my first son I had a babyshower in a restaurant. It was nice but we just ate and opened gifts. No games or anything. I guess since I was so young. I was 18 when I had my first. 16 months later I delivered another baby boy. But we didn't have a shower because we had everything. I will be delivering baby #3 in January. We gave almost everything away already. And we don't know or want to know the gender of the baby until he/she is born. I was thinking of having a babyshower this time around. One more mature and full of pregnancy games. But someone told me its tackie to have a shower after the first. True or not?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, it's not. Parties are meant to celebrate things, and a shower is a type of party.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Tradition says that a baby shower after the first one is tacky. I had one for my first and third - my youngest son is 8 years younger than my middle child and my friends and family thought that was appropriate. Talk to your mom, friends, etc. and get their take on it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i think it is, but people do it all the time. i mean what would you want since you have everything already lol. maybe if you want to have a party you could just have a party instead of making it a babyshower? it sounds like you just want the party aspect of it. i don't see anything wrong with THAT, but a full out shower is very tacky imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Not at all! What if you had a boy the first time and a girl or twins the second!?? You need lots more stuff!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:40 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think it is, becuase the point of the baby shower is to help you get the things you need for the baby, so people expect you to have them already after the first one, but if you just want the games and to welcome your baby, you could say that you don't expect gifts on the invite, then even the people that think it's tacky to have more baby showers after the first will feel better about it.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's tacky. I'm hoping to have a baby shower this time around....I had a boy first and I'm hoping this will be a girl, so I'll need a whole bunch of new stuff...and we've given away a bunch of our baby things...so we're down to the basics, I think we have a carseat, stroller and high chair. We'll need everything else.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My feeling is that it is fine for someone to give you a shower after the first. Showers are fun times for friends to get together and talk about babies and to give the expectant mom some gifts. For children after the first, then often the gifts are things that may need to be replaced after other baby's- diapers, sheets, undershirts, onesies, socks. Showers are given mainly by friends, but they can be given by family members.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• The traditional belief is that it is tacky. The shower used to be about giving gifts and advice that help a first time parent. Then the idea came about that it is about celebrating the new baby, no matter which number it is, and not so much about helping out the parents with things they'll need for the baby. So now it is becoming acceptable. I would not have felt comfortable at all having another shower when I was having our second. The economy alone is prohibitive. I cannot imagine if everyone had a shower for every baby they have. If someone offers to throw one it's not nearly as bad as a mother shopping the idea around to her friends and family. I've heard of some women doing that for subsequent babies.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think that the people saying that its tacky on here are rude. Ive had 2 kids and didnt have the privelage of having a baby shower with either and i fully plan to have one with this baby. Ive never got to expierence it or anything so i think it will be fun and plus who wrote the rule that its ok to celebrate the births of your first born but not your next ones???? Its a party for the new baby and who couldnt use the diapers??? lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• who doesn't like new things? no, its not tacky. let someone give you the shower, celebrate that new baby!!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2010