I really want to have my 3rd baby natural with no epidural or anything like that please read

should I go to child birth classes so that I can do this? I already have 2 kids wouldn't be stupid to go to childbirth classes now? I had problems with my epidural 2.5 years ago and to this day still have probelms with it so I want to go natural. We are going to start trying to have baby 3 in september

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I would recommend the Bradley method. I was stuck reading books with my 2nd child as my DH thought pain meds would be best. I used what I learned during labor and I do think it made it possible for me to go without pain meds. A class sounds great. Best of luck to you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's ever stupid to do childbirth classes, not matter how many children you've already had.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I couldn't agree more about not having an epidural. Are you completely opposed to pharmacologcal pain management, or it it just epidurals you want to avoid?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:07 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree with previous posters that attending childbirth classes would be a good idea to help you achieve your goal. Informing the labor and delivery nurses of your issues with epidurals and spinal blocks would be a smart idea; you could even make sure it's in your medical record that you don't want an epidural or a spinal block and why. However, not using an epidural or spinal doesn't preclude the use of say, Demerol and Phenergan (provided you aren't allergic) in the IV if your pain becomes unmanageable. Unmanageable pain is worse for both you and the baby than using a short-acting pain medication. Arming yourself with as much information on non-pharmacological pain management techniques and plenty of practice with breathing and visualization techniques as humanly possible will help keep you calm during delivery, because you'll know you did the work. Good luck to you!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my advice - say NO to pitocin! Birth without it was OK, managable, not too bad. But oh goodness! The next labor where I tried to go natural and they gave me pitocin... NOT GOOD!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If you go to a child birth class make sure it is one that does natural birth. The ones given at the hospital aren't so great. I had a natural birth with both my babies and I took a prenatal yoga class. That helped me most of all. It stretches the right muscles and teaches you good breathing techniques it also helped immensely during the last bit of pregnancy discomfort. Good luck to ya!
    KandDsmama1

Answer by KandDsmama1 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I want to avoid anything that is stuck in my spine since I was leaking spinal fluid and had 2 blood patches done since to this day I have back probelms and every day headaches
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think it would be fine to go to childbirthing classes for your third child, I haven't been to them, but I think they tech you methods to help you stay calm and deal with the pain. So it'd probably be helpful to you.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I never been to the childbirth classes either
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I don't think that it's never too late to go to childbirth classes esp. since you've not been before. I went with my first one and had a epidural didn't want another at all. I had a shot of something in my IV with my second and my third I had him naturally and if I could have more I would prefer it to be natural.
    Everyone can handle pain differently, it's hard to try and relax and breathe when your having a baby but that is what worked for me.
    my4loves3

Answer by my4loves3 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010