Teaching babies to chew????

My LO will by one November 5th. He is still not chewing food! He will eat stage 2, baby yogurt, and Ritz crackers (he doesn't chew those, just bites off a small bit and lets it dissolve). He will not chew any food. Does/has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Should I be concerned?

mama-in-love

Asked by mama-in-love at 11:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask your Doctor about it, because by age one they should be able to eat many table foods. I don't know what would cause this and I don't have answers, sorry. I've heard that if solids weren't introduced early enough it can cause this, but I'm not a Doctor and so will not try to diagnose, hehe. I would certainly bring it up at his 1 yr checkup and keep giving foods that require a little chewing movement (ritz are a good start, maybe some cherios), but dissolve easily.
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 11:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm teaching my kid (he's 9 mo.). I just open and close my mouth ( like big chewing) and make yummmm noises and tell him it's "sponge bob's food!" Also, try stage three and add some stage two so its not too many big peices. Does any of ya'lls babys like meat? Mine won't eat babyfood meat!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Each baby is different. I am certain your baby will learn in due time:)
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 1:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I don't know that my son CHEWS the foods - he will bite down too soon and his front and bottom teeth bite the food for him but mostly he just gums it and sucks on it - I would try to just feed him harder foods or those gerber puffs - my son started eating harder foods like that later than most cause he kept choking on them - just try it over and over
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2008