Do babies have to wear socks?

My DH insisted I put socks on our two month old twins. We're at home, our house is not cold, and they were not under a fan. They are wearing onesies and a pair of cotton pants to go with it. For the next week the average temp is going to be a high of 99. What is the big deal? Their feet aren't even cold!

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 10:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I always had socks on my babies. As another poster said, they aren't active and keeping their body temps up like we are. And the mittens thought isn't logical - think of the many times when it's cold enough for socks but not mittens. Is it inconvenient when they kick the socks off? Sure, sometimes. But job as a parent is to care for my children. If I can't take a moment to put their socks back on, I really should have chosen a puppy and not a child.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 11:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is harder for babies to maintain their body temperature. They aren't up and moving around, like we are, to keep their blood circulating, which keeps us warm - therefore, the "if I'm not cold, the baby's not cold" way of thinking doesn't always work.

I always kept socks on my little girls.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 10:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes, as my pediatrician told me, babies can't keep themselves warm and always need a little more clothing than we do. That doesn't mean to bundle them in blankets, but it does mean little things like socks.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Think logically - when you're up and moving about, you're warmer. When you're sitting still, you're cooler and perhaps feeling the chill of a breeze.
    Yes, babies DO need more clothing that fully developed adults. Adult systems are also more capable of maintaining body temperature. Chance are, if you and your baby are dressed alike and you are "comfortable", your baby needs another layer.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 11:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• oops - voted you up by accident, Amileegirl - didn't mean to vote at all (hardly ever do) ... but you do deserve a vote up for one (AND ONLY ONE) thing you said. You correctly stated that skin to skin is the best way to regulate a baby's temp ... this is because ADULTS can regulate their own body temps and babies cannot. Therefore, babies often DO need additional clothing.

As for why people were voting you down? probably because you're presenting one very limited perspective in a really know-it-all and overbearing way. So you're a "babywearer" -so what? Many moms choose to wear their babies, and for a variety of reasons. This choice doesn't make you an authority in anything other than in your own choices.

Anyway, you did get one thing right -and it reinforces that adult bodies work more efficiently than infants, which is why holding baby close is the best way to regulate temperature. That's why babies need socks.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:32 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If their feet aren't cold they don't need socks.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I agree, if theyre feet arent cold they dont need socks.
    And all of you saying "baby cant regulate body temperature" Then HOW do you expect them to deal with being OVERHEATED because their parents OVERDRESS THEM???
    If it is 99 degrees out, then baby is going to be warm, and doesnt NEED to be "dressed extra warm"
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Most of the time I put sock's on my 9mo. I belive if there feet are cold there whole body is cold
    BkMommy2be

Answer by BkMommy2be at 2:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I always had socks on my babies. The feet get cold quick which effect the temp. of the body. I would do it.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It has been explained to me that the baby should always be wearing one more layer of clothing than you are to feel how you feel. Unless you are currently feeling too hot, socks may not be a bad idea. If you find the heat unbearable, they probably don't need socks (and of course, if it's that bad and you have the option, they'd be inside anyway).
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010