My 6 year old swear she knows everything!

She wont listen to anything I say. She wont do anything I tell her to do. If she does do it she takes her own sweet time to get it done. Even when its homework time I cant get her to do it I have to take her to my mothers house and she will give her no problems what so ever with homework or any other things my mother ask her to do. Me and her dad are recently divorced and in the parenting class for divorcing parents the counselor said that she may behave this way. How long should I expect this to go on and what should I do in the meantime?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The best advice I can give is be strong and let her know that she is not in charge, you are. As far as how long you should expect it to go on, well... my 17 yr old still thinks she knows better and I doubt that will end until she is a mature grown adult. lol Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Wait a minute, your giving her an excuse...NO!

Sit down, explain to her that you understand she's upset, but that you use words to explain that, and that you will not be treated this way any longer. If she doesn't listen and mind, you are going to start taking toys and not allowing fun stuff.

Period.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If you let her be bossy, she'll think she's the boss. Don't allow it. Impose consequences for inappropriate behavior. Divorce or any other adverse circumstances may explain why the behavior is happening, but should never be used as an excuse for poor behavior - it still needs to be stopped.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Again...mom is the trigger. Read my last post (question before this one)...we need to set boundaries, calmly, but firmly and stick with them!! She is insecure about her surroundings because of the divorce. She's confused and scared...look at it from her perspective. her life has changed so tremendously, she feels more secure with grandma because her house stayed the same!!! Set a timer for 30 minutes, if it is not finished. TAKE IT AWAY, and she is done That's it, if it's not done there is consequences of a bad grade. She'll get it after a while. Talk to the teacher and she will surely work with you on this. PARENTS we are the boss not our kids. Rules and regulations make for a more secure child!!! she needs to know who the boss is. Let her know you love her, but she is to listen to you!!! Good luck mom!! :)
    MartaJoy

Answer by MartaJoy at 9:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010