Do you think it matters more WHICH hours you sleep, as opposed to how many

I am having a horrible time getting on a good sleep routine. Once my son goes to bed at night at about 10 or 11 pm, I feel such a relief that I stay up until, on average, 3 am every night. I usually get about 6 or 7 hours of sleep, and get up at 10 am. Still, I've felt so tired lately. I know I need to start going to bed earlier, but I just can't make myself fall asleep at midnight, which is what I'd like to do. I plan every night to wind down earlier, and never stick to it, lol. Any suggestions?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Health

• And to answer the first, main question. I don't think it does. You can train your body to sleep at certain times. It's hard at first, but doable. I used to be an early to bed early to rise person (still needed that coffee though!). Then I got a third shift job that went from 10pm to 7am. That was usual sleep time. It took a couple of days but I got switched and felt fine. Just so long as you're getting the recommended amount of sleep in a good stretch so your body is in the restful part of sleep long enough.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, science says it does make a difference, yes. Our body clocks and circadian rhythms (body's natural cycle) are designed to work in a certain way.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 11:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Would it be possible to get your son used to an earlier bed time? That way you could still have your chill time after he goes to bed, and won't have to stay up so late.
    Also, I found getting up earlier makes me want to go to bed earlier. It's how I got me and Kyra ready for school (up at 6am). I just got us up at six a couple of days before school and we got on the school bedtime within a day or two.
    Avoid caffeine and excitement (anything that gets the heart rate too high like excersise) a couple of hours before you want to go to bed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• ?* Oops, there should be a question mark after my question. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Would it be possible to get your son used to an earlier bed time? That way you could still have your chill time after he goes to bed, and won't have to stay up so late."

Probably, and that's what I'm going to have to do. I just feel so FREE when I finally have time to do whatever I want, and I don't want to go to bed, lol! I'm like a kid! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2010