My old cat is losing weight. Has anyone else been through this?

He doesn't have any symptoms at all, other than the arthritis which is common with old age in cats. He is around 12 years old. We can't afford to take him to the vet unless it's really necessary. He's eating and using the bathroom regularly. He's indoors only.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Pets

• My cat was 15yrs old and lost a ton of weight, to the point were you could see every bone. The vet said it was a virus and gave him a shot but that because of his age it probably wouldnt do anything, which it didnt. We put him to sleep to put him out of his misery. It was like $20 for the shot. If you cant afford to take care of your animals why do you have them?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It could be a natural symptom of aging. It could be thyroid. It could be parasites- worms, fleas. If it seems a rapid weight loss, then he should be seen. I hope he is OK. We are going through an anxious time with our 14 year old cat right now. :(

Answer by Bmat at 11:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Sorry to say, but you almost need to take him to a vet to know why. Age could be one reason, but that's purely a guess whereby he's eating and drinking well. Sorry your having problems with your furbie.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• There are a lot of things that could be going on. Our kitty was losing weight all of a sudden, and it turned out he had renal (kidney) failure. Not to freak you out, but you really should take him to the vet.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'd watch his weight loss very closely. It could be nothing, but it could also be a sign that he is declining in health. Best thing to do is take him in for a check up.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• If you cant afford to take care of your animals why do you have them? "

Rude much? She didn't say she couldn't afford to take care of him, she said that she can't take him to the vet over every little thing.
    And to the OP, I wish I had advice, but I've never really owned a cat.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:39 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my younger cat started with that....after a few months I did take him in~the blood work and the visit were costly, she said she could work him up further with tests...I chose to do the meds and syringe feed and skip the tests. She thought the cat probably had a cancer. He hated being force fed. He had a few more weeks with us and they he died in his favorite spot. I thought too much intervention was mean~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Older cats and cats that were previously over weight are at a high risk of Diabetes. Only a Vet can tell you for sure. Everything listed here is a possibility. A very dear friend's cat was diagnosed with Diabetes recently and the cat is doing very well on insulin. It is pretty expensive and she has paired up with another family that has a diabetic cat. Because the doses are so low, they are able to share the insulin to save money. Good luck.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• SabrenaLeigh. We have had this cat for 12 years. We could afford all of the vet expenses just fine for the first 10. Since then we have had 3 children and are making do the best we can so I can stay at home with the children. Yes, it's sad for the 2 pets we have, but the kids are a larger priority than the pets. If we could find a good and loving home for our cat and dog we would. But no one wants 2 elderly animals. They are better off with us than they are at the shelter, which would be their only other option at this point. But thanks so much for the rude judgements.

Yes, we could afford a $20 shot or to put him to sleep if need be. But, a vet bill for an office visit and bloodwork would be $300+ in my town. I can't afford to spend $300 when he's eating and content, but his only symptoms are his old and losing weight.
    ThrivingMom

Comment by ThrivingMom (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Yes...my cat was losing weight fast and not eating and it turned out to be cancer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 28, 2010