Would a wedding planner be (or have been) more appealing to you if they were able to save you more than they cost?

I will be launching my new Wedding planning business within the next year or so. In the meantime I am working with local vendors to provide my clients a discount... Since my area is full of small businesses with great services I would love to see them get some business over chain stores and online vendors... My goal is to keep local business local and make it worth it to the couples. I would never discourage them from getting whatever they choose for their wedding, but I am creating a localized wedding planner in conjunction with local vendors.

Anyways, my goal is not only to bring great value to my clients and save them at LEAST as much as I cost, but also to bring some business back to the area...

I see this as a win, win, win type of deal... They get great service @ great prices and our area gets a boost - and of course, I get a paycheck...

What's everyone think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it's a great idea, but how will you advertise?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It all depends on what they charge you.
    Just go to a justice of the peace.
    That is how I did it.
    That saves a tonn of Cash
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think you have a great plan. I do wonder in a year from now, if recessionary thinking will change. Unless of course you are in an affluent area. Even when times were good, I don't ever remember any of my friends ever using such a service. Your marketing plan of it saving more that you cost will be the key. Good luck to you and I sure hope it works out well!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I think that this sounds like a wonderful plan. Planning a wedding is very stressful and if you can hire someone to help do it and save as much as they cost then it seems like a win/win situation. Good Luck :-)
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I thin kit sounds like a good plan. once you have your 'preferred vendors' list set up you should be able to calculate an average total savings is someone only used the Preferred Vendors. That way you can say you can save up up X amount by using this list.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, we aren't in an area with a lot of money, but I have never really met anyone that completely went without a wedding. In fact even those that did do the JP thing, still had a party. And I have no problem doing small get-togethers, or even non-wedding parties and events. My costs would really depend on how much they use me. I am putting together a number of packages which will allow my clients to tailor my services to their needs as well, and I plan to put all my local vendors (and discount/coupons for them) as well as all the check lists and whatnot in to a binder style planner (like you can buy at the store) as well for those who don't have the money to hire me, but would still like a little help. I am also in the process of purchasing things like champagne and chocolate fountains and other common rental items that I plan to include with some of my larger packages for no extra charge.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Great idea if you can save them your fee plus more with the discounts. Make sure it is clear they realize what they would be saving.......good luck with it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I got married in 2006, we had just over 200 people with all the trimmings for around $6000... And we did it in 6 weeks! Had we had more time and someone to negotiate costs and discounts as well as point us in the right direction for stuff, it would have been both cheaper and a lot less stress! I want to be able to bring that to the area!

I have the training and love doing it, but I want to offer more than the average planner does... I want to offer value as well... Make it worth it to hire me over doing it themselves...

As for advertising... I plan to work with those vendors to advertise in their shops as well as in the Yellow Pages, NewPapers and other locally printed things... And hopefully, word of mouth!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• In my area, only affluent people hire wedding planners. You had to come up with a way to market effectively to people on smaller budgets and how to break the stereotype that wedding planners are only for the rich.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, no one here is considered "affluent" although the practice of hiring a planner is more and more common around here... I will however be the only one in THIS direct area, most people are going to the city to hire planners - which is an hour away.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010