What are your thoughts?

...about how women should dress in church? How does your church expect women to dress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feel that telling someone that they can't come to church "as they are" goes against everything that Christianity stands for. Granted, I think you should be respectful of a place of worship and the people in it (by not showing lots of cleavage or what-have-you). The way I see it is, if it's good enough for God, it's good enough for me!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Growing up Baptist women/girls wore dresses on Sunday mornings. If it was an evening service then some would wear pants.

NOW many churches have gone Contemporary and women/girls wear pants/jeans at any time which is the way I think it should be.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My thoughts are...it doesn't matter to God what you wear to church, he just wants to know where your heart is.
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I feel they should dress modestly. I hate seeing girls in church that wear tube tops and halter tops and shorts etc. Its like come get a clue, your in the house of the lord, respect it and wear something decent!
    Anonymous

• I think my church wants me to dress in dressses and very boring. However I am who I am and I do not have alot of money to buy special clothes for church, so I wear what I normally would. I got alot of looks when I first started going there but now they know I am a nice girl I just dont like dressing like I'm 80. I think women should be able to wear whatever they are comfortable in. I do think sweats and t-shirtsare taking that a little to far though : )
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I was actually denied entrance to a church once. My husband's grandparents (and aunts, uncles, and cousins) go to a teenie tiny old country church. We were visiting there once and I had only dress pants with me. All that morning his aunt was saying "if you don't have a skirt, I can lend you one", and I kept saying "no, that's okay, I'm fine." When we finally got to church, I was literally asked to go home and change. Needless to say, I went home...but didn't come back.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Dustermommy-I would think that pants would be better then a skirt because you are covering up more..go figure right...
    Anonymous

• I think as long as you are there what difference does it make what you are wearing?
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 12:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The "dress code" for men, women, and children are pretty much the same, well it's really not a dress code, but there is an expectation that your dress will be MODEST, and that your clothing will be clean, no stains, no rips, etc.

Jeans, dress slacks, sweaters, t-shirts, dresses, shorts etc are all acceptable, as long as they are clean, stain free, no rips, etc and are modest. (modest being things are covered that SHOULD be covered and no vulgar words and/or words across the butt)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Oh I should ADD that on the dress and shorts etc...no minis or things that barely cover, and that it's okay to be form fitting but it shouldn't be tight....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2008